cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TRIM update hosed my Windows 7 install

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Just did the firmware update and it hosed my Windows 7 installation. The updater showed a successful firware update. Initially the computer booted just fine, but once I was within Windows it installed some drivers and asked for a reboot. That's when the trouble started. Now the drive won't boot Windows 7 anymore. I don't know if it's a Dell problem or Intel problem. The Dell BIOS claims a SMART error. I have a Dell XPS 8000.

197 REPLIES 197

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I am experiencing the same behavior as the OP. I ran the firmware update and it reported success. I rebooted, Windows7 installed some drivers, and requested to reboot, which I did. When I reboot, the computer will POST, but then I am presented with a screen that reads the following:

A disk read error has occurred. Press CTRL-ALT-DELETE to reboot.

This is an 80GB X25-M G2 on a Gateway laptop (P-6860FX). The drive had been running Windows 7 Professional x64 since last Friday without issue. When I disconnect the SSD, I am at least able to boot into my old Vista drive.

Please advise!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

What drivers did it install? I keep reading about drivers being installed but I didn't see any after updating firmware. So why do you say drivers were installed?

I built my own computer so no Dell or Gateway here.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Upon rebooting into Windows 7, Windows began installing new drivers automatically. Don't know what it was installing, but it requested a reboot when it was done and poof! I get SMART errors in the BIOS screen at posting. I tried to reformat and install Windows again, but the Windows installer could recognize the SMART errors and said I couldn't install Windows on a drive that had potential errors. It's not a Dell or Gateway issue. There is a guy with an ASUS MB and one with an EVGA MB with the same problems.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

All you guys with commercial computers having problems, and me with my home-built computer having all go smoothly. The motherboard isn't likely to be a problem, but BIOS setting might be. I still don't knpw why you say it installed drivers when you don't know what drivers were installed. After the firmware update, my computer rebooted but I don't know why or what transpired. After you updated the firmware, did you reset the BIOS to AHCI before going to desktop? And set your computer to boot from Hard Drive?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Similar to george, I didn't see what happened specifically. The "Found New Hardware" wizard popped up in the taskbar, said that the device had been successfully been installed, and Windows requested to restart.

Since then, the drive will not boot. In addition to that, I need to disconnect the SSD in order to even boot into my old Vista drive.

Edit:

All you guys with commercial computers having problems, and me with my home-built computer having all go smoothly. The motherboard isn't likely to be a problem, but BIOS setting might be. I still don't knpw why you say it installed drivers when you don't know what drivers were installed. After the firmware update, my computer rebooted but I don't know why or what transpired. After you updated the firmware, did you reset the BIOS to AHCI before going to desktop?

@ ambizytl: My BIOS had never been set to AHCI - Even when I first connected the drive and installed Windows 7. (It had always been "Compatibility")

I have attempted to set it to AHCI, but it makes no difference. (I am also not running RAID)