cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TRIM update hosed my Windows 7 install

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Just did the firmware update and it hosed my Windows 7 installation. The updater showed a successful firware update. Initially the computer booted just fine, but once I was within Windows it installed some drivers and asked for a reboot. That's when the trouble started. Now the drive won't boot Windows 7 anymore. I don't know if it's a Dell problem or Intel problem. The Dell BIOS claims a SMART error. I have a Dell XPS 8000.

197 REPLIES 197

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Mine is a commercial built Gateway desktop. It has an AMD RS780 chipset and AMD X4 processor (am I allowed to say that?) LOL. It all went just fine.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I don't recall any Found New Hardware wizard after the firmware update. You will not have the AHCI driver installed with Windows 7 installation if you didn't have BIOS set to AHCI--maybe that is the problem.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

ambizytl wrote:

I don't recall any Found New Hardware wizard after the firmware update. You will not have the AHCI driver installed with Windows 7 installation if you didn't have BIOS set to AHCI--maybe that is the problem.

Not sure...I only enabled AHCI once after these issues began, and again disabled it after that attempt.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see...!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

You should set your BIOS to AHCI before Windows 7 installation.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

My Windows 7 Install appears to be hosed too. And this is not a Dell issue as I have a custom built PC. Exact same issue as the other people who had the problem: Firmware updates, Windows Reboots and installs something, and then errors or a black screen after reboot. The errors occur when I disable my raid array again, the black screen occurs with the Raid array enabled.

Can anyone who is having the problem get the drive to initialize? When I try to repair or reinstall Windows 7 it just hangs after selecting a language and the option to install or repair. I booted my computer with a Live Linux Disc and it sees the drive, but it can't access it at all. The only thing on the SSD was my OS and program files so I don't have a problem re-installing but that doesn't seem to be an option.

I think Intel may have a few RMAs on their hands in the near future.