Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

TRIM update hosed my Windows 7 install

Just did the firmware update and it hosed my Windows 7 installation. The updater showed a successful firware update. Initially the computer booted just fine, but once I was within Windows it installed some drivers and asked for a reboot. That's when the trouble started. Now the drive won't boot Windows 7 anymore. I don't know if it's a Dell problem or Intel problem. The Dell BIOS claims a SMART error. I have a Dell XPS 8000.

0 Kudos
197 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Same here! I have Windows 7 Ultimate x64. Windows asked me to restart and after that it stopped working and serial number is BAD_CTX.

I googled about it and some people got it working with hdderase. I am still hoping there is a way to fix this without loosing all the data.. but that might be too much to hope for.

I tried to update the firmware again, but the tool says it is already updated. Is there a way to "update" it back to the old 2CV102G9 firmware? If that helps..

Where can I get the old firmware?

I hope Intel can answer is my SSD dead for good or is there a way to get it work again?

My computer is not a "brand computer", it is a home build one. Q6600, ASUS P5B etc. Windows is installed with AHCI, I updated the firmware in IDE mode and changed it back to AHCI after update.

Message was edited by: Rohirm

idata
Community Manager

I have the same problem. I have a Asus P5E, The X25-M80G2 is on sata port 2, IDE, legacy mode, After the flash i have a S.M.A.R.T failure. I tried to update the firmware again. But the tool says it is already updated. I have Ubuntu 9.10 and W7 RC installed on the disk.

I can sea the disk on a other system whit W7 on it. I can't create a partition or delete one Is there any solution?

idata
Community Manager

I don't know what you guys did, but I installed the new firmware on Windows 7 64-bit and had to restart but no problem here. I even restarted again on my own after reading this post. I reset the BIOS back to AHCI after the firmware update before going to desktop. I did the firmware update on both X25-M G2 160GB and X25-M G2 80GB drives.

idata
Community Manager

DITTO!

Same problem as the OP!

The updater showed a successful firware update.

The computer re-booted just fine once.

Once within Windows, it installed some drivers and asked for a reboot.

Upon reboot, 50 Disk Errors were reported

Windows marked those file segments as bad

Rebooted

Disk Read Error!

System is now DOA

EVGA x58 Classified

Win 7 64

Intel x25-M SATA: 0

idata
Community Manager

Stinks that some people are having troubles. Hopefully, the reason can be found. Mine went fine. Win7 did ask for a reboot after the upgrade. No errors after.the reboot.

idata
Community Manager

I didn't have a problem either. I don't know what drivers they say were installed, haven't found anything different.

idata
Community Manager

My Dell is a P55 Core i5 system if it matters. I had no special SATA drivers installed, just the ones that Windows 7 installed. It was running in ATA mode, RAID was disabled.

idata
Community Manager

I think this may be an issue with Dell, which I would never buy. Try calling Dell for support, just keep the aspirin bottle handy.

I installed the firmware in non-AHCI mode, no RAID or AHCI and it went smoothly. I have just the Microsoft drivers in Windows 7 64-bit. I followed the instructions for making the firmware CD.

idata
Community Manager

Don't think it's a Dell issue. There are 2 other reports here of the same problem with different hardware.

idata
Community Manager

I am experiencing the same behavior as the OP. I ran the firmware update and it reported success. I rebooted, Windows7 installed some drivers, and requested to reboot, which I did. When I reboot, the computer will POST, but then I am presented with a screen that reads the following:

A disk read error has occurred. Press CTRL-ALT-DELETE to reboot.

This is an 80GB X25-M G2 on a Gateway laptop (P-6860FX). The drive had been running Windows 7 Professional x64 since last Friday without issue. When I disconnect the SSD, I am at least able to boot into my old Vista drive.

Please advise!

idata
Community Manager

What drivers did it install? I keep reading about drivers being installed but I didn't see any after updating firmware. So why do you say drivers were installed?

I built my own computer so no Dell or Gateway here.

idata
Community Manager

Upon rebooting into Windows 7, Windows began installing new drivers automatically. Don't know what it was installing, but it requested a reboot when it was done and poof! I get SMART errors in the BIOS screen at posting. I tried to reformat and install Windows again, but the Windows installer could recognize the SMART errors and said I couldn't install Windows on a drive that had potential errors. It's not a Dell or Gateway issue. There is a guy with an ASUS MB and one with an EVGA MB with the same problems.

idata
Community Manager

All you guys with commercial computers having problems, and me with my home-built computer having all go smoothly. The motherboard isn't likely to be a problem, but BIOS setting might be. I still don't knpw why you say it installed drivers when you don't know what drivers were installed. After the firmware update, my computer rebooted but I don't know why or what transpired. After you updated the firmware, did you reset the BIOS to AHCI before going to desktop? And set your computer to boot from Hard Drive?

idata
Community Manager

Similar to george, I didn't see what happened specifically. The "Found New Hardware" wizard popped up in the taskbar, said that the device had been successfully been installed, and Windows requested to restart.

Since then, the drive will not boot. In addition to that, I need to disconnect the SSD in order to even boot into my old Vista drive.

Edit:

All you guys with commercial computers having problems, and me with my home-built computer having all go smoothly. The motherboard isn't likely to be a problem, but BIOS setting might be. I still don't knpw why you say it installed drivers when you don't know what drivers were installed. After the firmware update, my computer rebooted but I don't know why or what transpired. After you updated the firmware, did you reset the BIOS to AHCI before going to desktop?

@ ambizytl: My BIOS had never been set to AHCI - Even when I first connected the drive and installed Windows 7. (It had always been "Compatibility")

I have attempted to set it to AHCI, but it makes no difference. (I am also not running RAID)

idata
Community Manager

Mine is a commercial built Gateway desktop. It has an AMD RS780 chipset and AMD X4 processor (am I allowed to say that?) LOL. It all went just fine.

idata
Community Manager

I don't recall any Found New Hardware wizard after the firmware update. You will not have the AHCI driver installed with Windows 7 installation if you didn't have BIOS set to AHCI--maybe that is the problem.

idata
Community Manager

ambizytl wrote:

I don't recall any Found New Hardware wizard after the firmware update. You will not have the AHCI driver installed with Windows 7 installation if you didn't have BIOS set to AHCI--maybe that is the problem.

Not sure...I only enabled AHCI once after these issues began, and again disabled it after that attempt.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see...!
idata
Community Manager

You should set your BIOS to AHCI before Windows 7 installation.

idata
Community Manager

My Windows 7 Install appears to be hosed too. And this is not a Dell issue as I have a custom built PC. Exact same issue as the other people who had the problem: Firmware updates, Windows Reboots and installs something, and then errors or a black screen after reboot. The errors occur when I disable my raid array again, the black screen occurs with the Raid array enabled.

Can anyone who is having the problem get the drive to initialize? When I try to repair or reinstall Windows 7 it just hangs after selecting a language and the option to install or repair. I booted my computer with a Live Linux Disc and it sees the drive, but it can't access it at all. The only thing on the SSD was my OS and program files so I don't have a problem re-installing but that doesn't seem to be an option.

I think Intel may have a few RMAs on their hands in the near future.

idata
Community Manager

Known Issues

2.1 RAID Platforms

The Firmware Update Tool does not support updating SSDs in systems using RAID.

For RAID systems only, use the following instructions:

1. Back up your data before performing the following steps

2. Perform setup as described in Section 3.1

3. Burn the ISO image to a CD-R

Note: The RAID must be disabled by using BIOS in order to update the drives.

Do not use the Intel Matrix Storage Manager or any other software

based RAID manager to disable the RAID option.

4. Using BIOS, turn off RAID by enabling ―Legacy‖ or ―Compatibility‖ mode, save

and reboot

5. Run the Firmware Update Tool

6. Verify firmware update

7. Using BIOS, re-enable RAID for both drives, save and reboot