cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The 8mb firmware glitch - but firmware won't update

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I came home from work today to:

Windows failed to start. A Recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem: 

1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer. 2. Choose your language settings, and then click next 3. Click "repair your computer." Status: 0xc0000000e Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible

I'm running a 160gig 320 series (had it working great for over a year). It shows as 8mb. In the BIOS, my drive is labeled BAD_CTX 00000130. So, basically, everything points to this infamous firmware glitch, right?

I got the firmware update burned on the disc. I start the process hitting 'yes' to all the disclaimers, but shortly after the process starts, it stops: "could not be completed." It suggests enabling SMART, turning off password protection and enabling legacy IDE in my BIOS. I've done all those things and it still won't go any further. I also trying popping the SSD into my spouse's computer and running the Intel SSD Toolbox, but that way but it also gives me an error about being unable to disable SMART when I try.

I'm under the impression that all I need to do is update the firmware and my drive will work again (well, with data loss) and I shouldn't need to return it under the warrant, but I don't know what else to try to update the firmware. Is there anything else I can do to workaround this I'm a little out of my league here, so I appologise if there's something glaring I should have thought of.

1 REPLY 1

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

My understanding is that you need to upgrade the firmware BEFORE the glitch happens. I think you probably need to get an RMA and return the drive. I guess if it was me I might first try doing a secure erase using Parted Magic which you can download for free (just do a google search). If this works then you could try reinstalling Windows 7 etc.