cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The need for full 'GPT' support in the 'Data Migration' software for SSDs

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Lately, a lot of the new laptops especially, the new smaller form factor laptops with touch screens are utilizing EFI Bios and GPT partitioning.

This has resulted in compatibility issues when attempting to clone Hard Drives with GPT Partitions to Intel SSDs. I personally experienced this frustration trying to install an Intel SSD in my ASUS, Q200e notebook. I was able to research the EFI/GPT Standard and eventually find software with full GPT support to clone the Q200e, HD to my Intel SSD.

It would be very beneficial to our customers to provide full 'GPT' support in the 'Data Migration Software' included with the SSD retail packages. And it would be great if Intel also provided some information on cloning HDs in systems with EFI Bios/GPT Partitions.

3 REPLIES 3

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The migration software is made by Acronis for Intel. It was suggested in the guide that the current version can be updated by going to the Acronis website. Or you just download a trial copy or buy the retail of the latest Acronis version.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes, I tried the Acronis free version first and it gave me a message to upgrade to the Retail version for GPT support.

I then made the mistake of purchasing the Retail version which requires you to create the Recovery and Boot disks in order to clone the HD. This was too much for a notebook that does not have a DVD drive.

And to top it off Acronis then tells you that you need to upgrade one more time to the 'Home Plus Pack"

for full GPT support - What a Racket!!!

In other words Acronis turns what should be a Simple/Easy upgrade into an ordeal that I wasn't about to go through.

Luckily, I found HDClone which was free and had full GPT support.

Now that made it Simple and Easy which this upgrade should be for our Customers.

Message was edited by: Paul

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The latest version of the Intel Data Migration Software, version 2.0, has full support for GPT/EFI booting Windows installations.

I've used it myself with a GPT formatted source SSD, and the migration worked perfectly the first time.