cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is just silly... SSD Toolbox Optimizer stopped running.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi All,

I'm stuck. Any help would be appreciated.

By the picture below you can see the optimizer used to run on my Intel DP55KG motherboard with a single X-25 80GB as my boot drive. This board has 8 ports. 6 via PCH and 2 discrete. This new intel board allowed me to set the 6 ports to RAID and the 2 to IDE (ACHI not availble).

This is suppose to a simple setup with a SSD boot drive and RAID 0 for the data. (No the SSD is not part of the RAID)

This was working fine and as of November 3, 2010 at 6:15:08pm the optimizer ran for it's last time. Now I can't run it and I get the message on the screen below.

I've uninstalled/reinstalled the toolbox.

I've went back to Toolbox 1.3 with no luck.

It's asking for the latest firmware which is reported at 2CV102HG. I think that's the latest.

This is a new motherboard and a new drive. I was hoping this was going to be an easy build.

Thanks in advance!

FYI - My drive is SAEG4510-310

14 REPLIES 14

don't worry about all the different model/product numbers.

has anything changed on your system in that time between when the optimizer last worked and now? driver, bios updates? which port is the ssd on, one of the 2, or one of the 6?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

All those numbers on your SSD are irrelevant to your problem, we know you have an X-25M G2 80GB Intel SSD with firmware 2CV102HD, there is nothing else to determine regarding it, they are a (relatively) common, well known SSD, I have several myself.

Great, you use Win 7 and Intel RST, of course in RAID mode on the six SATA ports provided by your P55 PCH, and you're not using the other two SATA ports provided by the Marvell controller. Yes, this is what we need to know.

Question, if you run the Intel RST user interface, and check the status of your 'drives and RAID array, is everything fine? Is your SSD listed as a stand-alone device that is not part of a RAID array as it should be? On the right side of the RST UI screen, there is a circular shaped arrow icon/button to "Run a hardware scan now", click on that to verify all is well with RST and your 'drives. You should check each of your 'drives by clicking on their icon. You may have already done all this, but we don't know that so bear with me. See anything odd there?

The Toolbox requires Microsoft's .NET Framework 2.0 to be installed on the PC. That comes with Windows 7 and Vista, but if your's was somehow corrupted? In the Windows Programs and Features listing I have: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile Version 4.0.30319. A long-shot, but it's in the Toolbox User Guide.

One thing you could do is, if you have this feature enabled, etc, and if you won't mind the repercussions of this, is try performing a Windows System Restore. A somewhat desperate measure that also is not guaranteed to fix the problem. That would be from a restore point prior to the last successful run of the Toolbox, November 3rd, 2010. If you did this and the problem stopped then you'd know something changed in your PC that caused the problem. Discovering what that is would be your next task. If you've never used System Restore, you'll need to study it before you use it and understand it's side affects.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the little delay, just swamped at work. Parsec, I believe I do actually have the SSD on the Marvel controller. If I understand this board correctly the manual is calling these 2 ports as "discreet" run by the Marvel controller.

Does that change any of your thoughts? Marvel driver update? Any known issues here?

Under RST the SSD is not listed. Just the two WD Raptors in RAID 0.

As far as the .NET Framwork 2.0, I am looking into as well performing a rollback.

I'm currently working on the drivers first...

connect the ssd to one of the 6 pch ports and see if the optimizer works.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!!!

Thanks for for all of your help Masime, Parsec and especially Mistermokkori!. The problem is the Marvell "Discreet" SATA Controller (What's so discreet?).

Switching the SSD to a port on the other controller did the trick. Great fix for SSD drive, but now I have to run some checks on the Marvell controller, but that's a whole other forum.

Hope this fix helps others having probems with their SSD toolbox as so many boards have more than one SATA controller.

PIC OF TRIM WORKING GREAT AS OF 8:01am THIS MORNING: