Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Thunderbolt 1 to USB-C Device

How can I utilize Thunderbolt 1 ports speed (iMac late 2013) with external hard drive USB-C ? (10 gig speed) iMac has USB 3 (5 gig) so if I go USB to USB I lose half the speed of any USB-C equipped SSD.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

You may need some sort of Thunderbolt-to-USB-C adapter of some sort (or just get an external drive with a Thunderbolt interface).

Anyone got a better answer?

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

In the few days since I posted the question I've learned that I don't think there is a way. Two different languages. There is close to nothing that can be found in regards to Thunderbolt 1and 2 external SSD's, and what little I have found were either more than a new computer with thunderbolt 3, or no faster than what would be expected of USB 3 read and write rates. The Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter blocks power through-put so none of the Thunderbolt 3 drives will work with Thunderbolt 1and 2 computers without a thunderbolt 3 hub with two Thunderbolt 3 ports and an independent power supply. I'm still searching to find out how fast this set up might be.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello Matrixreject,

Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory and Storage support.

We cannot provide you with support or recommendations related to 3rd party accessories or products. Please contact the adapter manufacturer or your PC manufacture to check the compatibility and options available.

If you need assistance with an Intel® product, please open a new thread.

We hope the community can help you.

Best regards.

Josh B.
Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

As a first party, does Intel sell Thunderbolt 1 or 2 equipped devices? Are there Intel first party devices and/or accessories that I can purchase to use with the Thunderbolt equipment/ports installed on my computer? Has Intel previously sold External SSD or HDD devices equipped with Thunderbolt 1or 2? I can't seem to find any retail Thunderbolt 1 and 2 drives/devices, only some Thunderbolt 2 equipment that costs thousands of dollars, or expensive hubs without Thunderbolt 1 & 2 devices to use with them, at least I can't find them. Since Thunderbolt 2 devices seem so rare, and I wouldn't know what to look for, and you can't tell me,  can you provide me with any information for/on  any Intel first party Thunderbolt 1 & 2 devices I can look for?

0 Kudos