cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To Update Firmware or NOT

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

I started another thread here about my new X25-M that worked fine until I tried to update the firmware with the latest on Intel's site. For some reason, the update never completed sucessfully. The utility kept telling me to disable the drive password [there isn't one], enable SMART [the BIOS does not have it] or enable Legacy Mode [it was, in IDE mode]. I tried several times with a bootable USB drive and a CDR with the ISO image. I gave up after 3 or 4 attempts, only to find that my 80G drive was now an 8Meg drive.

From searching the net, I discovered that this had happended to others. Sometimes they were able to correct it by using HDDErase or DBan. I was not able to sucessfully run either of this. HDDErase ran but did not even see the SSD. Dban I never figured out. I downloaded and unzipped. I never found any system boot files or exe files to run on the disk it made.

So, back to the vendor it goes. A replacement is on the way. My question is, when it gets here, should I even attempt to update the firmware? I am a littel gun shy after this incident. Also, it there a way I can see what version it shipped with? Perhaps with Toolbox?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

ah good, (that the drive came with 02HD). and ah yep, looks like you've got a system issue to track down i'd say.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The new SSD is working fine. I have been loading apps on it all day. Its FAST !! As for the old one, I am half tempted to work on it some more. I still have it. I don't have to return it to Amazon for 30 days. They ship the replacement first and give you 30 days to send whatever back. Beats an Intel cross ship for $25. I was lucky I had bought it recently. If I do start fooling with it again, and fix it, I'll post what I did - maybe it will help out someone else.

Thanks to all who responded.

EVGABuzzer