cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To iNtEl: I want auto trim but installed matrix storage driver!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

I installed yesterday my new Win7 32bits i put it on my new Intel 160gb gen 2 with 02HD firmware and started installing drivers.

I installed Intel SSD Toolbox - v1.2 just for curiosity because i know i didn´t need it for trim, i read agood part of the manual (requirements and similar stuff) and i thought i was ready to install the Intel SSD Toolbox - v1.2. AFTER other stuff i decided to see a little more of the toolbox manual and I FOUND IN PAG 13!!!!!!! THAT ONE SHOULDN´T INSTALL matrix storage driver BECAUSE THEN ONE REALLY NEED TO USE THE TOOLBOX for trim!!!!!!!! IT SAYS THIS IN THE Schedule SECTION!!! (INSTED IN THE BEGIN WITH EG THE TITULE I M P O R T A N T):

6. If your PC uses Microsoft Windows 7 and the Intel Matrix Storage Manager version 8.x (which can be used in place of the Microsoft AHCI driver), then the Intel SSD Optimizer tool is required to enable the ATA Data Set Management Command (Trim).

NOW I LOST LOTS OFF HOURS AROUND THESE, INSTED OF EXPLORING MY NEW OS AND SSD ONLY TO FIND THAT althoug i uninstaled this matrix thing I NEED TO REINSTALL THE OS BECAUSE matrix storage driver MANUAL SAYS THAT TO REMOVE THE DRIVER ONE NEEDS TO REINSTALL THE OS!!!!!!!!!

Does someone knows a workround this ANNOYNCE? i have already lots of stuff installed and configurated

i don´t use raid but i want AHCI (I HAVE IT ENABLED IN THE SATA CONFIG IN THE BIOS before the OS install)

I cant see Intel(R) SATA AHCI Controller in the 'IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers' entry in device manager but i see this:

17 REPLIES 17

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

From what I gather in your post, it seems that your trim should be working without you having to change anything.

3 requirements: need to be running windows 7 (which you are), need to be running in AHCI mode (which you are), need to be using the default microsoft driver ahci.sys (which it seems you are, since it's listed as a driver for your ahci controller in device manager).

The controller you display in your post has no evidence of having IMSM drivers installed. Not sure why that's the case if you're sure you installed them!

Unless your SSD is connected to a sata port controlled by a different controller to the screenshot in your post, you're ok.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

IMSM manual says

9b. UNINSTALLATION OF DRIVER COMPONENTS

The removal of this software from the system will render any

Serial ATA hard drives inaccessible by the operating system.

Back up any important data before completing these steps.

1) If the system is in RAID mode, delete any RAID volumes

using the Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager option ROM

user interface.

2) Reboot the system.....

3)

4)

5) Reinstall the operating system.

but it also say´s

* 8. IDENTIFYING THE SOFTWARE VERSION NUMBER

8.1 Use the following steps to identify the software version

number following a Have Disk, F6, or unattended

installation. (none was my case)

8.1b Systems Configured for AHCI Mode:

1. On the Start menu:

1a.For Windows* XP or later operating systems,

select Control Panel.

2. .....

3. ...

4. Select the 'Device Manager' button.

5. Expand the 'IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers' entry.

6. Right-click on the Intel(R) SATA AHCI Controller present. In this part i see the standart controler as i said before

I am a litle confuse, there is another way to confirm that i am using the standart driver?

P.S i runed the toolbox a trim and diagnostics scans were ok.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I'm pretty sure that if you were using the IMSM drivers, IaStor.sys would have been the listed driver under your sata controller in device manager. msahci.sys definitely is the default MS ahci driver, and if it's listed, you're using it for that controller.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

thanks for the answears dokh22

I searched for IaStor.sys in the driver details of everything listed under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers and didn´t found nothing with that driver so maybe i am good...