cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To iNtEl: I want auto trim but installed matrix storage driver!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

I installed yesterday my new Win7 32bits i put it on my new Intel 160gb gen 2 with 02HD firmware and started installing drivers.

I installed Intel SSD Toolbox - v1.2 just for curiosity because i know i didn´t need it for trim, i read agood part of the manual (requirements and similar stuff) and i thought i was ready to install the Intel SSD Toolbox - v1.2. AFTER other stuff i decided to see a little more of the toolbox manual and I FOUND IN PAG 13!!!!!!! THAT ONE SHOULDN´T INSTALL matrix storage driver BECAUSE THEN ONE REALLY NEED TO USE THE TOOLBOX for trim!!!!!!!! IT SAYS THIS IN THE Schedule SECTION!!! (INSTED IN THE BEGIN WITH EG THE TITULE I M P O R T A N T):

6. If your PC uses Microsoft Windows 7 and the Intel Matrix Storage Manager version 8.x (which can be used in place of the Microsoft AHCI driver), then the Intel SSD Optimizer tool is required to enable the ATA Data Set Management Command (Trim).

NOW I LOST LOTS OFF HOURS AROUND THESE, INSTED OF EXPLORING MY NEW OS AND SSD ONLY TO FIND THAT althoug i uninstaled this matrix thing I NEED TO REINSTALL THE OS BECAUSE matrix storage driver MANUAL SAYS THAT TO REMOVE THE DRIVER ONE NEEDS TO REINSTALL THE OS!!!!!!!!!

Does someone knows a workround this ANNOYNCE? i have already lots of stuff installed and configurated

i don´t use raid but i want AHCI (I HAVE IT ENABLED IN THE SATA CONFIG IN THE BIOS before the OS install)

I cant see Intel(R) SATA AHCI Controller in the 'IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers' entry in device manager but i see this:

17 REPLIES 17

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Not "maybe", you are good to go. Its really that simple: remove IMSM, check if the driver used is listed as msahci.sys and if not, change it manually. Though, using msahci.sys opens up a new can of worms for some people. Stuttering and generally lower performance than iastor.sys from IMSM have been reportet. Up to you what you want to do...

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1107304683 0 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; mso-hyphenate:none; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-font-kerning:.5pt; mso-fareast-language:AR-SA;} p.tb9, li.tb9, div.tb9 {mso-style-name:tb9; mso-style-unhide:no; mso-margin-top-alt:auto; margin-right:0cm; mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto; margin-left:0cm; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:EN-US; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:10.0pt; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-ansi-language:EN-US; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:70.85pt 3.0cm 70.85pt 3.0cm; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

I wish you are right but what how about IMSM manual sayng that for one to complet uninstal the IMSM driver have to reinstall the OS and do this ((

<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1107304683 0 0 415 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-520092929 1073786111 9 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0cm; margin-right:0cm; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:10.0pt; line-height:115%;} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:70.85pt 3.0cm 70.85pt 3.0cm; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->3) Enter the system BIOS (usually done by pressing a keysuch as 'F2' or 'Delete' during system boot). 4) Disable 'Intel(R) RAID Technology' and 'SATA AHCI mode'. )) witch i dont understand

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Perhaps the instructions are referring to IMSM rom, which is embedded in bios? Otherwise it's specific instructions on how to switch sata modes from one controlled by IMSM to one not controlled by IMSM.

For certain boards, running in ahci or raid mode will implement IMSM stored in the bios. If, for example, you installed your os while running in ahci/raid mode, then later you switch to ide mode, your os will not start up, and you would have to reinstall the os to continue using your system in ide mode. It seems to me this is what the manual is referring to.

But if you're just updating/changing the windows drivers for the sata controller, without changing the sata mode in bios, there's no need to reinstall windows.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Those instructions almost certainly are written to take care of the worst case scenario. If you installed Win 7, and the MS driver was used to install the OS, then it will still be there to take over the driver duties for the storage controller after removing the Intel driver.

In other scenarios, like if you installed XP by supplying the Intel driver using F6, then you would need to reinstall unless you knew the tricks to get the MS AHCI driver working.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I really installed Win 7 with the Micro$ driver after the instalation i installed the IMSM among other drivers but removed it later and the rest you know

Yesterday i sent an email to Intel and i will post the answear as soon i recive it.

Meanwhile i am enjoyng the speed added with my SSD, before i didn´t have Vista on it but now i have 7 on my X25-M and the speed is astonishing, everything Office 2007 open in a hart beat, i am anxious to try video editing and conversion.

How much did it make in Windows 7 Experience index? mine was 7.8 max is 7.9 that 0.1 less hurted my tech ego