cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To iNtEl: I want auto trim but installed matrix storage driver!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

I installed yesterday my new Win7 32bits i put it on my new Intel 160gb gen 2 with 02HD firmware and started installing drivers.

I installed Intel SSD Toolbox - v1.2 just for curiosity because i know i didn´t need it for trim, i read agood part of the manual (requirements and similar stuff) and i thought i was ready to install the Intel SSD Toolbox - v1.2. AFTER other stuff i decided to see a little more of the toolbox manual and I FOUND IN PAG 13!!!!!!! THAT ONE SHOULDN´T INSTALL matrix storage driver BECAUSE THEN ONE REALLY NEED TO USE THE TOOLBOX for trim!!!!!!!! IT SAYS THIS IN THE Schedule SECTION!!! (INSTED IN THE BEGIN WITH EG THE TITULE I M P O R T A N T):

6. If your PC uses Microsoft Windows 7 and the Intel Matrix Storage Manager version 8.x (which can be used in place of the Microsoft AHCI driver), then the Intel SSD Optimizer tool is required to enable the ATA Data Set Management Command (Trim).

NOW I LOST LOTS OFF HOURS AROUND THESE, INSTED OF EXPLORING MY NEW OS AND SSD ONLY TO FIND THAT althoug i uninstaled this matrix thing I NEED TO REINSTALL THE OS BECAUSE matrix storage driver MANUAL SAYS THAT TO REMOVE THE DRIVER ONE NEEDS TO REINSTALL THE OS!!!!!!!!!

Does someone knows a workround this ANNOYNCE? i have already lots of stuff installed and configurated

i don´t use raid but i want AHCI (I HAVE IT ENABLED IN THE SATA CONFIG IN THE BIOS before the OS install)

I cant see Intel(R) SATA AHCI Controller in the 'IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers' entry in device manager but i see this:

17 REPLIES 17

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

It passed 7 days and no response from Intel so i reinstalled win 7 when i bought my core i7 it was the same stupid/inexplicable thing, everything (lots) freshly installed and then i saw that i was using only one core because Intel forgott to tell that one has to enable <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:1; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; mso-hyphenate:none; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-font-kerning:.5pt; mso-fareast-language:AR-SA;} span.postbody {mso-style-name:postbody; mso-style-unhide:no;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-ansi-language:EN-US; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:10.0pt; line-height:115%;} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:70.85pt 3.0cm 70.85pt 3.0cm; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->acpi apic support in the Bios before installing the OS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don´t know what to say about this...seriously maybe intel doesn´t want you to care to much about them and it´s going the Microsoft way all the way.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

In http://www.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/sb/CS-029623.htm# 6 Intel still omites the fact that once IMSM is installed auto Trim is disbled:

Do Intel SSDs need special driver support?

No. The standard drivers for any HDD will support Intel SSDs as drop-in components, such as those bundled with Windows*. However, for best performance, a driver that supports SATA Native Command Queuing (NCQ) is recommended, such as the http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/ Intel® Matrix Storage Manager (IMSM) driver from Intel.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

In http://www.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/sb/CS-029623.htm# 6 Intel still omites the fact that once IMSM is installed auto Trim is disbled:

Do Intel SSDs need special driver support?

No. The standard drivers for any HDD will support Intel SSDs as drop-in components, such as those bundled with Windows*. However, for best performance, a driver that supports SATA Native Command Queuing (NCQ) is recommended, such as the http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/ Intel® Matrix Storage Manager (IMSM) driver from Intel.

To Techfan9000,

I'm sorry for the late response. Are you still having some problem with Intel SSD that you would like help with? It looks like you have the right storage driver in use to support Windows 7 Trim. Windows 7 MSAHCI driver needs to be installed at this time for Windows 7 Trim process to work. iMSM does not support at this time, but the iMSM driver, now called RST, will support Trim in the near future. The Optimizer tool will trim the drive regardless of driver you are using.

Regards,

Brady - Intel Solid-State Group

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

his problem that actually is mine as well is:

We installed Window 7 and then we substituted the driver MS AHCI with the driver iMSM but once we found out that the Window7-Trim didn't go through our new driver, the iMSM, we uninstalled it and automatically Window 7 restored the MS AHCI drivers.

We wonder if this restore the auto-trim of Window7 as well since in the iMSM manual actually it's written that to completely erase iMSM drivers you need to reinstall Window7

if i check:

Command prompt > fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify

DisableDeleteNotify = 1 (Windows TRIM commands are disabled)

DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Windows TRIM commands are enabled)

my trim is always been 0 before and after changing driver and changing it back... I actually hope that window7 just send the command no matter which driver you are using but the command itself is ignored by iMSM