cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too many conflicting posts in this forum!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I've read a whole bunch of posts about IDE, AHCI, Toolbox and trim. What a mess. I can't find head from tail.So many contradictory posts. Are some people giving opinions based on posts they've read.. which might be false to being with!?

Is their some official support forum from Intel where Intel support employees can give authoratative answers or because this is a community forum anything goes? I really don't want to bother with I-am-Not-sure answers. I need definite yes or no.

I would like to see an official FAQ from intel answering the common questions. Such as.. does Trim work on IDE port or not (regardles if I should be using AHCI)

I have seen two visible camps around this question.

38 REPLIES 38

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I take it you bought an Nvidia chipset? I did that once but it was a really bad idea. I'd suggest you buy an Intel chipset, use an Intel processor and an Intel SSD. Compatibility should always be a factor when you're researching what PC or components to buy.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have an AMD cpu and chipset. I can use MS's AHCI fine. An SSD is just a drive. It should work with any motherboard & chipset & CPU.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

You're the one suggesting that the Intel Rapid Storage Technology should work on an AMD chipset. Why should Intel make and support software for products they don't sell and to be used by their competitors? It doesn't make business sense. Also if you want to use Intel software you should have bought Intel products. If you look at the read me file on the Intel Rapid Storage Technology download it gives you compatibility advice.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I NEVER said Intel Rapid Storage Technology should work on an AMD chips. I said that if one recommends using Rapid Storage Technology then mention that it's for Intel chipsets only. I have AMD chipset and I don't want to install IRST and find out it screwed up my computer and it doesn't boot anymore because it replaced my current working drivers. I get the sense some people think that if I am using an Intel SSD, posting on an Intel forum that I am also using an Intel motherboard and chipset!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

abdu, as far as I know for TRIM to work (automatically) with AMD chipsets you need to run the default Microsoft AHCI drivers. I don't think AMD have released a driver yet that (automatically) passes TRIM. (I'm sure they will at some stage).

Intel SSD's work just fine with AMD chipsets and CPU's.

You have 2 choices:

Use the MS AHCI driver or

Use the toolbox to TRIM if you use the AMD driver.

Sorry for assuming you had an Intel chipset.