cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trim/ToolBox Difficulties With System Restore - X25m G2 Owners

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have recently discovered a problem with Intel G2 drives while using Toolbox and trim and am wondering if this is a normal occurrence and whether intel has explored it.

A few weeks ago I reformatted my drive and left system restore on. Two days ago I went to use the toolbox just to confirm my drive was nice and clean and it took 2 hours. After it completed, I tried again and it still took 10 minutes. I found this unusual as my drive is partitioned into two logical drives and the other drive took less than a second to complete.

Prior to, I had also completed a Crystal Disk mark score and discovered that my write scores had dropped about 20mb/s.

I spoke with someone who stated they had the same problem but it dissappeared when they turned System Restore Off. I did and tried the Toolbox once again and it completed in less than a second. Further, my speeds were back up again.

As I am an active member on SSD groups on a few sites and very active in the ssd community, I checked and this seems to be common and brings forward a few questions.

Does the way that Win7 allocates its restore files cause problems for TRIM and Toolbox?

Has this been recognized and looked into previously?

Does Intel have any input with respect to this?

8 REPLIES 8

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

You bring up a very interesting question, and I hope someone from Intel gives you an answer. I don't use System Restore, so I haven't been concerned. Anyway, I hope you get an answer from someone, NandFlashGuy?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I would encourage Intels response as well as any other G2 owners who have such an issue as well. I have discovered a few of us X25 members who have encountered same now. I am going to believe this is the same with the consensus.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

It was pointed out to me in another thread that it was documented that restore points slow down the tool. This is from the readme.rtf:

<!--  /* Font Definitions */  @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1107304683 0 0 415 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-520092929 1073786111 9 0 415 0;} @font-face {font-family:Verdana; panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1593833729 1073750107 16 0 415 0;} @font-face {font-family:"Neo Sans Intel"; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-alt:"Segoe Script"; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;}  /* Style Definitions */  p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} a:link, span.MsoHyperlink {mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-unhide:no; mso-ansi-font-size:9.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:9.0pt; font-family:"Verdana","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Verdana; mso-hansi-font-family:Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; color:# 0860A8; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; color:purple; mso-themecolor:followedhyperlink; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:10.0pt; line-height:115%;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->To reduce the amount of time the Intel SSD Optimizer takes to run, reduce the number of System Protection restore points. The amount of time the Intel SSD Optimizer takes to complete is related to the number of System Protection restore points and the number of total files of the system. See Microsoft FAQ on System Protection restore points here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/System-Restore-frequently-asked-questions http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/System-Restore-frequently-asked-questions

I'd also thought I noticed a poorer benchmarks before running the tool, but since then I've seen variable results in back-to-back runs, so I'm not sure. I haven't really had my system setup for good benchmarking, so that may account for the variability. I haven't noticed any differences in performance during normal use.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

What I wonder about is what if any affect system restore points have on TRIM that runs automatically, not via Toolbox. I don't use System Restore, but I am curious.