cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trim/ToolBox Difficulties With System Restore - X25m G2 Owners

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have recently discovered a problem with Intel G2 drives while using Toolbox and trim and am wondering if this is a normal occurrence and whether intel has explored it.

A few weeks ago I reformatted my drive and left system restore on. Two days ago I went to use the toolbox just to confirm my drive was nice and clean and it took 2 hours. After it completed, I tried again and it still took 10 minutes. I found this unusual as my drive is partitioned into two logical drives and the other drive took less than a second to complete.

Prior to, I had also completed a Crystal Disk mark score and discovered that my write scores had dropped about 20mb/s.

I spoke with someone who stated they had the same problem but it dissappeared when they turned System Restore Off. I did and tried the Toolbox once again and it completed in less than a second. Further, my speeds were back up again.

As I am an active member on SSD groups on a few sites and very active in the ssd community, I checked and this seems to be common and brings forward a few questions.

Does the way that Win7 allocates its restore files cause problems for TRIM and Toolbox?

Has this been recognized and looked into previously?

Does Intel have any input with respect to this?

8 REPLIES 8

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

My concern is such that I did leave Restore on for about 2 weeks. After that period I ran a crystal Disk Bench which showed the reduction of my write speeds down 20MB/s on average. I then used the optimizer which took over 2 hours. My only assumption is that TRIM was not doing its job. I check of course using the DOS command and it says the commands are being sent.

So lets take this situation to a G1 owner....I wonder what there drive will run like after a few months with system restore because lets face it, the average user couldnt imagine adjusting or turning it off.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The DOS command only tells you TRIM is on by default, it does not mean TRIM is passing through to your SSD.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Ummm.. The DOS command confirms the commands are being sent, not that they are being received or actually executed which is pretty much the same as you are trying to say.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I replied as I did because you said "I check of course using the DOS command and it says the commands are being sent."

That command is on by default and will stay on unless you turn it off. I have never seen anyone say they found it off by default.