cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trim function works well on Linux/Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

For those waiting for an updated TRIM enabled firmware for their x25-m 80gb g2 postville:

I flashed my drive and am trimming away!

If you track the conversation from here onwards you should be all set: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60882&page=10

1) download hdparm 9.27

2) make, make install

3) apply the latest patch mentioned in the thread above as presented on page 10 by danekl

4) copy wiper.sh to usr/local/bin

5) run from terminal: sudo wiper.sh --commit / or sudo wiper.sh --commit /dev/sdaN (where sdaN is your ssd)

BTW, this is not real TRIM but gives the same effect. I run this each time at system start up.

Skip Windows, go Ubuntu!

16 REPLIES 16

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

This is exactly the output:

wiper.sh: Linux SATA SSD TRIM utility, version 2.5, by Mark Lord.

rootdev=/dev/sda1 rdev=/dev/sda1fsmode2: fsmode=read-write/: fstype=ext4freesize = 132285104 KB, reserved = 1322851 KBPreparing for online TRIM of free space on /dev/sda1 (ext4 mounted read-write at /).This will be a DRY-RUN only. Use --commit to do it for real.Creating temporary file (130962253 KB).. Syncing disks.. Simulating TRIM operations..get_trimlist=/sbin/hdparm --fibmap WIPER_TMPFILE.3818(dry-run) trimming 261924512 sectors from 4280 rangesRemoving temporary file..Syncing disks.. Done.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Sorry, being a complete noob I can't help you, I've been fiddeling for days myself to get wiper.sh to work!

I ended up registering on the OCZ form where the guys where extremely helpfull and made a few patches that were essential to get wiper to work.

But I first followed up another suggestion: use wiper 1.9 and that worked straight away!

But... before you do anything ensure your drive supports trim, flash it (with the firmware Intel tookoffline). Linux is no Windows 7 so your machine shouldn't hang. Mine didn't!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks, blackSP. My ssd has the right firmware. I upgraded before Intel pulled it. I will try the wiper 1.9 version.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I upgraded my Intel G2 80GB SSD to the newest firmware ending in HD

I have hdparm 9.27 installed on my Arch Linux system

I patched the wiper.sh v2.5 to work for the Intel SSD and named it wiper-intel.sh

Now wiper-intel.sh works. I no longer get the "Input/Output Error"

I uploaded the patched wiper.sh to rapidshare here...

http://rapidshare.com/files/349948975/wiper-intel.sh

MD5sum= 90e596a399ff6660c8542bf6be1d58ce

SHA1sum= f1af639d00a671532069ccf6407a91a35bf94521

Here is the output of the last run of wiper-intel.sh on the ext4 /root partition on my Intel SSD

[XXXXX@LinuxBox ~]$ sudo ./wiper-intel.sh --commit /dev/sda2

wiper-intel.sh: Linux SATA SSD TRIM utility, version 2.5, by Mark Lord.

Preparing for online TRIM of free space on /dev/sda2 (ext4 mounted read-write at /).

This operation could silently destroy your data. Are you sure (y/N)? y

Creating temporary file (45499969 KB).. Syncing disks.. Beginning TRIM operations..

/dev/sda:

trimming 31178749 sectors from 512 rangessucceeded

/dev/sda:

trimming 31375361 sectors from 512 rangessucceeded

/dev/sda:

trimming 28445834 sectors from 464 rangessucceededRemoving temporary file..Syncing disks.. Done.

ÉChem
New Contributor

Hello,

I have an Intel G2 160 GB SSD. I have not been able to download the modified script from rapidshare, but from somewhere else, even though I cannot be sure of the integrity of the script then. It first seems to be OK (maximum number of displayed ranges is 512), but I'm still having the input/output errors.

1) can someone confirm that it also work on 160 GB model?

2) if so, could you indicate an alternate trustworthy download location?

Thanks!