cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trim function works well on Linux/Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

For those waiting for an updated TRIM enabled firmware for their x25-m 80gb g2 postville:

I flashed my drive and am trimming away!

If you track the conversation from here onwards you should be all set: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60882&page=10

1) download hdparm 9.27

2) make, make install

3) apply the latest patch mentioned in the thread above as presented on page 10 by danekl

4) copy wiper.sh to usr/local/bin

5) run from terminal: sudo wiper.sh --commit / or sudo wiper.sh --commit /dev/sdaN (where sdaN is your ssd)

BTW, this is not real TRIM but gives the same effect. I run this each time at system start up.

Skip Windows, go Ubuntu!

16 REPLIES 16

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hum, that link still works.

Anyway, so it is not working ? LIke it quits with an Input/Output error? Or are you getting errors in /var/log/messages ?

Also, the script is farly small. You can just read it to make sure it is not running netcat on some random port and emilling off your IP to some randome email account or something like that. Hell, you may be best off to to that anyway. my point being that you can read the script there really is not need for the hash values as far as security is consered.

----------

Ok I just posted the script below. Make sure word-wraping dosen't mess up the code.

ÉChem
New Contributor

Thanks for your answer! I have the same problem though:

/dev/sda:

trimming 154928 sectors from 164 rangesFAILED: Input/output error

And hdparm -i shows Model=INTEL SSDSA2M160G2GC, FwRev=2CV102HD, so I have the right FW, right?

ÉChem
New Contributor

News from the front:

I've just booted using the live CD (still 9.10 64 bit), installe hdparm 9.27 and use your modified script: it works!

I will try to find out what make it fails on my install and let you know if interesting.

Thanks!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

As far as I know it only works with hdparm 9.27, since I installed that my disk is trimmed with every boot, no i/o errors.

ÉChem
New Contributor

Update: it seems that it is coming from the 2.6.32 kernel (from Ubuntu PPA) I'm using. When using latest 2.6.31 kernel from Ubuntu it's working as intended.