cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trim in RAID 0 using Intel RST on Windows 8 and 10

SHawk
New Contributor

I notice the following comment in the description of the Intel® Solid-State Drive Toolbox:

Optimize the performance of an Intel SSD in RAID 0 using Trim functionality Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) 11.0 or greater.

NOTE: Trim on RAID 0 is not supported on Windows 8* or Windows Server 2012*

Is this a temporary situation? What about on Windows 10? I thought it was generally agreed that Trim was pretty important to keep write amplification down thus maintaining high performance and extending the lifetime?

3 REPLIES 3

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello Sam_hawker,

We understand the importance of TRIM and the benefits it provides to SSD's. The information currently available doesn't confirm if TRIM functionality is supported on RAID 0 on Windows 10* or not.

We will check further on this and will provide an update soon.

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello Sam_hawker,

Trim for Intel® RST and RAID 0 was not supported at all under Windows 8 / 2012 due to some limitations with the Intel® RST driver.

This was fixed in Intel® RST driver release 14.6.0.1029, and the latest Intel® RST driver supports Trim for RAID 0 under Windows 8 / 8.1 / 10 and Windows Server 2012. This is natively supported by these OS versions and is normally enabled by default.

However, it is still not possible to run the Optimizer from Intel® SSD Toolbox with Intel® RST in RAID 0, under Windows* 8 / 8.1 / 10 and Windows* Server 2012.

You can find some additional information about TRIM in the following advisory:

http://www.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/sb/CS-031242.htm Intel® High Performance Solid-State Drives — What are the Advantages of TRIM and How Do I Use It With My SSD?

Thanks, that's great news.