cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trim question on Intel Z68 Smart Response Technology

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi, I just bought an 160GB X-25M and will buy a Z68 motherboard for my new computer very soon. I was planning to use 20GB of SSD as a cache for HDD, and install Windows 7 on the rest 140GB of SSD. Today when I was reading reviews of Smart Response Technology, I found that the drives must be set up in raid mode, thus TRIM was not supported anymore on the cache. I am wondering whether TRIM is still supported on the 140GB portion of the SSD. But none of the reviews mentioned this. Does anybody know the answer? I don't care about TRIM on the 20GB cache, as long as it makes the HDD faster, but I do care about TRIM on the 140GB os drive. Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

I am and have always been a intel fan , I'am just waiting for Intel to come out with a Extreme Z68 Board , but for nor the Gigabyte is the best board going.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I am about to set this up as my first bliuld using pretty much what you suggested on a GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3 Mobo but as you say there are 4 SATA 6GB connectors, two of these being Marvell GSATA 6GB. I was palnning on setting my OS on the Corsair Force Series 3 120GB SATA 3 and the cache a Corsair Force Series 3 60GB SATA 3. I will place the SSD's on the Intel SATA 3 connectors but am unsure if I should place the SATA 3 ITB HDD on the Marvell GSATA 6GB connectors or just leave it on one of the intel 3GB. Will The Marvell GSATA connector be the same as plugging the HDD into a Intel 6GB?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

For single disks, you generally get the best performance on the native controller.

For HDDs, SATA 3Gb/s vs 6Gb/s does not matter... just have it on the native controller if possible for slightly lower latencie. You can also disable the 3rd party controller and save 3s off boot time as well.