Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
432 Discussions

Unable to configure Intel Nvme in RAID mode on AMD ryzen platfrom

sts1
Beginner

Hi ,

We are using AMD ryzen platfroms for NVME RAID solution on AMD platfroms. We are unable to configure intel Nvme's as RAID arrays.

Intel Nvme is always in offline state when raid enabled on AMD platfrom.

Please help us in understanding on how to configure intel Nvme in RAID mode.

able to detect the intel nvme as pure Nvme device in non-raid mode.

this issue not observed with samsung, toshiba, kingston nvme devices.

Also no issues with intel SATA SDD's in RAID mode.

Does intel Nvme work only on Intel platform in raid mode?

i have purchased 4 intel devices and unale to use on AMD platfroms due to not support.

Intel Optane 900p

Intel Solid State Drive 750 Series PCIe NVMe400 GB

Intel Solid State Drive 750 Series U.2NVMe400 GB

0 Kudos
7 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Well, there should be no surprise that the Optane module didn't work; this requires platform (PCH) and BIOS support that obviously isn't going to be here.

As for the NVMe modules, they present the standard NVMe interface required for compatibility with the standard BIOS NVMe module and with the Windows 10 NVMe device driver. I see nothing that should prevent this from working. I could stop at the facetious answer (gee, maybe AMD went out of their way to not support Intel modules), but this is obviously ridiculous (but silly enough that it is worth stating for the smile it will garner). Still, I would start at AMD and ask them what they base their "offline" state upon.

I am sure that Intel Customer Support will want to investigate this further; I leave it to them to take over here...

...S

sts1
Beginner

Hi,

AMD platform with standard BIOS configuration Nvme is detected and able to use the SSD as storage and bootable purpose on Windows 10.

the OS driver loaded is from MSFT "Standard Nvme Controller Driver" and no discrepancies .observed

But issue occurs when the AMD BIOS is set to RAID, Where the Nvme is listed as offline in the RAID array creation.

if it's working as per Nvme standards, why only intel is having issue while other nvme brands are working in raid on ryzen platfrom?

Need immediate assistance on this. as i have purchased 4 Nvme devices spending hell lot of money on those devices.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Well, since Intel wrote the spec., I think I can be pretty sure that their drives are compliant. This would tend to point the hairy finger in the opposite direction. Still, we are just speculating. ICS will need to have this investigated. I would suggest, however, that you should also take the investigation the other way and contact AMD.

...S

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The RST forum is for Intel's RST, not AMD's. Moving this conversation into the SSD Support Community where it will see more-appropriate mindset...

...S

0 Kudos
sts1
Beginner

Hi Intel,

can you update the status on the above query.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello sridharts,

Were you able to https://www.amd.com/en/corporate/contact contact AMD* regarding this NVMe RAID driver?

So far, we are not aware of any limitations on the SSDs. It'll be good to know their opinion before we further investigate.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello sridharts,

We haven't heard from you in the last week. Did you have the chance to review the RAID driver features and limitations with AMD*?

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos