cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlock PC Opal Encryption

AWong15
New Contributor

Hello all,

I have a Intel M.2 SSD which was locked by McAfee PC Opal Encryption. However, it was not usable after remove the McAfee Encryption using EETech. No way to format the drive or delete the partition under window 10 or apple environments. Any idea how to recover the driver? If possible, I would like to try keeping all data in the SSD. Please help.

11 REPLIES 11

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi anson1999,

Thank you for posting in the Intel communities.If I understood you well, your drive was locked by McAfee PC Opal Encryption and you are not able to access the data in it, correct?Could you please explain how you got the drive locked by the McAfee application?Additionally, which drive do you have exactly? If you cannot see the drive in the system, please take a screenshot of the label on the SSD. The information in the label will help us to identify the drive.I'll be waiting for your response.Have a nice day.Regards,Diego V.

AWong15
New Contributor

Hello Diego,

Yes, you are correct, it was locked by McAfee PC Opal Encryption, and now the drive does not able to read, write, format and delete the partition. I also tried to use Intel SSD Pro Administrator Tool v2.0.2 to force delete the date. However, it does not successful. The McAfee PC Opal encryption was installed by McAfee policy via McAfee EPO server. The SSD model is SSDSCKKF180H6L which is M.2 drive. Attached picture for the reference. Thanks.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi anson1999,

Thank you for the information.Please let me investigate about this to see if there is a way to format the drive even though it has been locked.On the other hand, this doesn't look like an issue with the drive itself, but with the McAfee application locking the drive. Have you tried to contact McAfee to explain them the issue and see if they have a fix or suggested solution to unlock or format the drive? If not, I'd recommend you to do so as they may have alternative approaches for these scenarios. Actually, they have a community where you can post your concern: https://community.mcafee.com/ https://community.mcafee.com/I'll investigate from my side and post any updates I'm able to find as soon as possible.Have a nice day.Regards,Diego V.

Hello Diego,

Thank you for your update. I did contacted McAfee support, but according to their information, the drive is already unlocked because the drive encryption already removed, but somehow the SSD cannot release the lock. Please kindly help to see anyway to release the lock or reset the drive. I will also post the issue to McAfee community. Hope someone know how to fix the issue there. Thanks.

Best Regards,