Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update from Intel's NAND Solutions Group

Alan_F_Intel
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Dear User of the Intel® SSD Communities:

Thank you very much for your blogs on Intel Support Community related to updating the firmware on your Intel® 34nm High Performance SSDs. Intel is committed to its customers and its products and is taking this issue very seriously.

We have been contacted by users with SSD issues after using the firmware upgrade tool (version 1.3) in a Windows 7* 64bit environment. Intel has replicated the issue on 34nm SSDs (X25-M) and is working on a fix. If users have downloaded 02HA firmware and not upgraded, Intel recommends they don't upgrade until further notice. Intel is pursuing the resolution of this as a high priority. No related issues have been reported by users who have successfully upgraded to 02HA firmware via the firmware upgrade tool (version 1.3)."

You should know that Intel is seeking direct feedback on this issue from members of the Community. In fact, we have communicated with selected users of the blog "Trim Update Hosed my Windows 7 Install", asking them to send their drives directly to Intel to expedite the analysis of the issues. This action will enable us to more quickly generate a resolution for this issue.

We appreciate your patience in this matter. And thank you for participating in the Intel Support Community.

rgds,

Alan

NAND Solutions Group

32 REPLIES 32

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

If you read that Blog again, you will see it does not say those actions regarding Superfetch, etc are for all SSD. I don't know what you are trying to accomplish here. The benchmark tests clearly show TRIM is enabled and working. If Windows 7 was not issuing the command for TRIM, you would not see your SSD brought back to specs. Stop worrying and enjoy your SSD. 😉

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

My reading skills are quite reasonable. The article is saying that not all optimisations will happen if the ssd is not fast enough. Are you saying Intel's drives are not fast enough and maybe that is why some of the optimisations were not implemented? What about defrag? That should be off whatever. It would seem that the f/w is (at best) not fully TRIM compliant with Win 7 because if it was those optimisations would be automatic and they are not.

So my question again. How do you know if trim is working automatically?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

This is an except from that article, which by the way was written before final release of Windows 7: "Be(sic) default, Windows 7 will disable Superfetch, ReadyBoost, as well as boot and application launch prefetching on SSDs with good random read, random write and flush performance."

If you want to make a big fuss over that, go right ahead. I already told you how to know TRIM is working. I know TRIM is working because my SSD is up to specs. Before TRIM firmware update, my specs had detoriated after using Windows 7 for a few days.

Go ahead and keep on worrying...

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Trim is enabled by default but can be turned off. You can use the "fsutil behavior query|set DisableDeleteNotify" command to query or set Trim. If fsutil reports that "DisableDeleteNotify" is 0, then Trim is enabled.

Checking is fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

As Intel have already confirmed in this forum; all that the "fsutil behavior query|set DisableDeleteNotify" command does is tell you that Win 7 is sending out the TRIM command. It is on by default. It does not necessarily mean that anything is happening to those commands.

I am simply asking why the f/w update from Intel does not appear to make the G2 compliant with the Win 7 TRIM spec.

I'm not worried but I am curious. I'm not sure why you seem to have a problem with that. (That is a rhetorical question by the way)