cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update on "Bad Context 13x Error"

Alan_F_Intel
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Intel has been investigating the 'Bad Context 13x Error' as seen on select Intel® SSD 320 Series drives. This was previously noted in the Intel community post as "SSD Power Loss". To summarize the error: In certain circumstances, after an unexpected power loss, a small percentage of SSDs may experience this error on the next attempt to boot the system. In this situation, the system's BIOS reports an SSD as an 8MB capacity drive.

Intel has reproduced 'Bad Context 13x Error' utilizing strenuous testing methods. This 'Bad Context 13x Error' can be addressed via a firmware update and Intel is in the process of validating the firmware update. A future update will define the schedule to deliver the firmware fix.

The Intel SSD 320 Series continues to be shipped and is available for purchase. If you experience this error with your Intel SSD, please contact your Intel representative or Intel customer support (via web: http://www.intel.com/ www.intel.com or phone: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contact/phone www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contact/phone) .

For those with Intel SSD 320 series SSDs who are concerned but currently unaffected, Intel advises the following actions:

• As with any storage device, backup your data regularly
  • When shutting down your system, follow your system's standard shutdown process
  • Minimize unplugging the SSD while your system is powered

Intel takes these issues seriously. Please watch for further updates on this site.

Rgds,

Alan

Intel's NVM Solutions Group

115 REPLIES 115

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello,

I recovered my SSD by formatting it via secure erase tool.

However SMART attribute B8 is reporting an error now and I get a warning now everytime I startup my laptop: 1720 smart hard drive detects imminent failure failing attribute id b8.

Will this firmware update also fix this issue or should I rather RMA the SDD?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Guest wrote:

I recovered my SSD by formatting it via secure erase tool.

However SMART attribute B8 is reporting an error now and I get a warning now everytime I startup my laptop: 1720 smart hard drive detects imminent failure failing attribute id b8.

Will this firmware update also fix this issue or should I rather RMA the SDD?

Your drive has other problems. Attribute 0xB8 is End-to-End Error, which indicates the drive internally has a problem with data transition between the on-board cache and the actual NAND cells. If the overall SMART health is failing, that indicates the normalised value (VALUE) has exceeded the alerting threshold (THRESH). Secure Erase did not cause this problem; there's nothing you can do about it other than get a replacement drive. Please file an RMA.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

That would be of interest to me too. My SSD shows the same SMART error (B8 - End to End Error). And I think the problems are related.

Here is how I got that error:

After about 2 weeks using the ssd (160 GB - FW 0302 Model: SSDSA2CW160G3 2.5") on a dell precision m4500 laptop the system went to sleep (probably the first time) - and bang! I had a couple of hard freezes, bad image error messages of startup programs during boot until. Within a couple of reboots the situation got worse each time until the disk was practically inaccessible from within windows.

The size of the disk was always reported as 160 GB though.

Luckily i was able to "kind of" revive the drive using a bootable linux distro (it was mentioned in another thread of this forum) following the explanations http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?81321-Secure-Erase-With-bootable-CD-USB-Linux... over at ocz. I would like to mention that I had to try a couple of times in order to secure erase the ssd. I also created a new partition using the parted magic distro.

This way I was able to fill up the drive with useless data before I will return it to my supplier.

It cost me a week!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

All,

Just as an FYI, I've provided an update on this topic here:

/thread/24121?tstart=0 http://communities.intel.com/thread/24121?tstart=0

Rgds,

Scott

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Just received my Intel 320 series 80GB SSD.

Packing Date: 24 May 2011

Batch # : CNCV15010B

Version # : G24397-601

S/N: CVPR1180028K080BGN

I will wait 2-3 weeks for the new firmware, before installing and using it.

Thank's foor all the forum info.