cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to SSD on Laptop with Windows 7 - Are these the right steps?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

I am actually upgrading my thinkpad x200s from 7200rpm hdd to Intel 80GB X-25M SSD. I would like to know what exactly is the best option to get the best results.

Before I begin - I am confused about the Intel ToolBox - Is this even required with Windows 7. Doesn't Windows 7 have native built in TRIM Support.

Here are my scenarios

Scenario 1)

Remove the HDD, install the SSD, and restore the original thinkpad OS build from the recovery disks, and once booted turn of some of those windows features that I keep reading on the forums and everything is dandy. (Note: Toolbox not loaded) - The laptop image build is pretty much clean windows 7 image anyway.

And Should I install latest Toolbox?

Scenario 2)

Install clean Windows 7 from cd/usb and then all the other programs of interest - Again does Toolbox need to be added.

Potential Issues - Need suggestions on these

1) What should I do about Intel storage Manager being installed in the original laptop desktop image build. Should I uninstall this immediately? or leave it.

2) Even though Intel Turbo memory is installed in the system - it is disabled in the Intel turbo memory application

Thanks, I would love to know what is the best scenario here. Option 1 saves time, whereas Option 2 takes some time out of my schedule (doing everything by scratch here).

And does Bitlocker work well with Intel's SSD?

I would love to hear what you all think.

Thanks,

Carmichael

1 REPLY 1

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I put a 160 gig SSD in my hp laptop. Then installed win 7 ultimate 64 bit. This way the proper alignment of disk was assured as win 7 takes care of everything. I have toolbox also, but it not needed if you use the msahci driveer which win 7 will install by default. The toolbox is not needed but is nice to have as a backup. I'd go with scenario 2.

Regards

jj