cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use windows and intel ahci drivers simultaneously?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have an X25-M G2 80GB (C:) running in windows 7 64-bit, along with 3 hdds (D:, E: and F:).

Did a clean install of windows on the SSD (using default windows ahci drivers - msahci.sys), and all runs well, except for the fact that when I wake the computer from sleep, 2 of the 3 HDDs sometimes disappear from 'my computer' and device manager. The only way to get them back is to reboot. This seems to be a fairly common problem, and the most suggested diagnosis is a flaw with the windows ahci drivers. The solution was to switch to the intel matrix storage manager drivers (iastor.sys), which indeed solved the problem.

Of course I have had to sacrifice trim to do this. Since the original problem never involved drive C:, there was no issue using the default windows drivers to control the SSD. So is there any way to have msahci.sys control the SSD, and iastor.sys control the hdd's, to get the best of both worlds?! Or is it one or the other?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

DZand
Contributor III

I doubt, that you will be able to use different mass storage controller drivers with SATA devices, which are connected to the same sort of SATA Controllers.

If your mainboard doesn't have SATA ports of different vendors (for example Intel and JMicron), you should use the Intel AHCI driver for all your SATA devices inclusive the Intel SSD.

The only disadvantage will be, that you have to run the upcoming SSD Toolbox Optimizer manually from time to time, but this will take just some seconds.

Furthermore you can expect an Intel RST AHCI driver in the near future, which will pass the Trim command.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

DZand
Contributor III

I doubt, that you will be able to use different mass storage controller drivers with SATA devices, which are connected to the same sort of SATA Controllers.

If your mainboard doesn't have SATA ports of different vendors (for example Intel and JMicron), you should use the Intel AHCI driver for all your SATA devices inclusive the Intel SSD.

The only disadvantage will be, that you have to run the upcoming SSD Toolbox Optimizer manually from time to time, but this will take just some seconds.

Furthermore you can expect an Intel RST AHCI driver in the near future, which will pass the Trim command.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks Fernando, that's what I suspected.

Guess I'll wait for the toolbox to be released and schedule it to optimize daily. The intel drivers are certainly better quality than the microsoft ones.

Is there any disadvantage of using the optimizer over native trim, except for the fact that native trim is working all the time (i.e. whenever there is write activity on the ssd)? Is the optimizer just as effective at restoring the ssd's performance?

DZand
Contributor III

You will not realize any difference.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Awesome, thanks Fernando!