cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using 25gb ssd for caching

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi everyone I need your help,

I screwed up my partitions and had to format everything and reinstall my windows 10 and xubuntu OS all over again. After installing it all I realised I have a 25gb ssd disk and started googling what to do with it and found out that thise type of small disks are used for caching. To do so you need to use the Intel Smart Response Technology tool, I downloaded it since it wasn't installed in this fresh boot (no idea if it was installed in the previous one), and it seems that I'm not suited for its installation. I've read some forums as well and they said that my disk needs to be in RAID mode and to do that I had to change it in my BIOS. I'm not certain of this and need some kind of confirmation since I can't find this specific information for my i7. I run an intel core i7-4510u and I need to know if I'm eligible to follow this procedure and install ISRT, http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005501.html Intel® Smart Response Technology User Guide .

Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4

ppara5
Contributor

Your motherboard also has to support caching. Since you did not tell us the model # of it, we cannot answer your question.

Yes, Windows must be installed in RAID, not IDE or AHCI, to use RST / SRT. Conversions from IDE to RAID and AHCI to RAID are possible, but both the registry and BIOS will need to be modified. People have already asked this question on Microsoft forums. Go to Microsoft Answers and search for the proper registry settings. Search on "convert from IDE to RAID" or "convert from AHCI to RAID".

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Ripcord01,

As we understand you would like to have your 25GB SSD for caching, that can be done using Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) found here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25165/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver Download Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) RAID Driver, as well you can download the Intel® Smart Response Technology, in order to properly set it up, please read the following guide: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005501.html Intel® Smart Response Technology User Guide.

Please let us know if you still require assistance.

From nestor_intel's second link, referring to the requirements to employ a cache SSD:

Intel Z68, Z87, Q87, H87, Z77, Q77, or H77 Express Chipset-based desktop board

Intel Core Processor in the LGA 1155 or LGA 1150 package

Operating system: Windows 8 or Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit editions)

This is why I noted that the motherboard (actually the chipset) is an important partner. Also, that document implies that no mobile systems can run it, as LGA 1155 and 1150 are desktop sockets. And Windows 10 is a non-starter.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Ripcord01,

We are following up your case and we would like to know if you still require any assistance.We will be waiting for your response.