cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Toolbox on X-18 G1 Drive

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello, I have an X-18 SSD model SSDSA1MH1601HP 1.8". Can I use the SSD toolbox on this drive? Do I need to flash the firmware to G2 and can this be done on this drive? Will the toolbox optimizer (manual trim) work on a G1?

Thank you

Mitch

9 REPLIES 9

Robert Gifford wrote:

You might want to check with INTEL if a firmware update would Help??

would help what? intel g1 drives do not support trim, so the optimizer is disabled in the toolbox.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

OK, so if I correctly understand this, no G1 drive will support trim - either through W7 trim command or with toolbox optimizer utility. Updating the firmware will not change this. Correct?

Thanks

Mitch

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Unfortunately no. You should however make sure you are using the most up to date firmware for the G1 drives.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Will the toolbox secure erase work on this drive and can this be used to periodically restore performance?

Thanks

Mitch

Mitchb wrote:

Will the toolbox secure erase work on this drive and can this be used to periodically restore performance?

i don't see any reason why the secure erase function in the toolbox would not work on a g1 (other secure erase utilities do work), and there's nothing in the documentation saying it wouldn't work, but i have not tried this myself.

if you notice performance degrading severely, then yes, a secure erase will restore it to 'factory fresh' performance. however, i have a bunch of g1's that have had terabytes of data written to them and never noticed performance degrading to the point where i needed to do a secure erase. but then again, i use these drives in desktops, i don't sit around with a stopwatch timing everything, and i don't hammer them with benchmarks. ymmv.

if you just bought this drive secondhand and are unsure of how it was (ab)used previously, then you may want to do a secure erase to start off on a clean slate.