cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V Series and AHCI Driver question

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello everyone.

I have a Gigabyte P45 Motherboard, which has the ICH10 controller.

I have 2 SSDs, and 2 Spinning HDs.

The main SSD where Win7 is installed is a 40GB V series Intel. The other SSD is a secondary and non-Intel (If that matters)

So far everything has been fine. The board is running in AHCI mode, and at this point is using the default Microsoft AHCI driver.

The problem I have with this is that Windows sees ALL my drives as removeable devices.

Both SSDs and both Spinning drives are listed as seperate, removeable devices.

I tried to update the AHCI driver to the latest Intel version.

It appears to wrok, and resolves the issue of all drives being seen as removeable.

But heres my question.

It instals the driver and shows it as a ICH10R AHCI driver in the device manager.

My board is a ICH10. It does not have the R designation.

Is this a problem or am I missing something here?

For what its worth, I do not have anything as RAID. All my drives run as solo disks.

Although in a couple weeks the 40GBV will become my secondary, and the OS drive will be replaced with a 80GB Intel drive.

So I would love to resolve this ahead of time because Ill likely do a clean install.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

It is becasue your chipset is the ICH10R and has the ability to use RAID. or at least that the driver recognises it as that when using AHCI. it is nothign to wrroy about though.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

It is becasue your chipset is the ICH10R and has the ability to use RAID. or at least that the driver recognises it as that when using AHCI. it is nothign to wrroy about though.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thank You.

I went ahead and updated the AHCI driver with the Intel one.

So far everything is working perfectly fine.

Thank You.

RGiff
Contributor

Can I make a coment about Mixing brands of SSDs the Intel drivers are made for Intel products and you could have problems running intel drivers on NON-Intel SSDs . I know the tool box will not work on NON-Intel SSDs .

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

There should not be any problems running non-Intel SSDs on a Intel chipset. Intel has to conform to the industry standard protocols. I have only heard of a few cases with SSD compability issues and they were all resolved with a BIOS update. These are relatively rare now.