cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird problem with X-25m G2

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Does anyone know why my 4k read/write is so much slower than other people with the same drive??? Its a brand new X-25m G2 drive.

I even used HHDErase 3.3 to secure erase the drive when i first benchmarked it. I thought something was wrong with it. But even after a second secure erase, i am still having the same problem.

I have attached two different benchmarks. Everything is normal for the SEQUENTIAL read/write and RANDOM 512K Read/Write

Problem is with my 4K scores. It seems as tho they are cut in half than what they are supposed to be. AHCI is enabled. CrystalDiskMark 2.2 -------------------------------------------------- CrystalDiskMark 2.2 (C) 2007-2008 hiyohiyo Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/ http://crystalmark.info/ -------------------------------------------------- Sequential Read : 258.695 MB/s Sequential Write : 87.820 MB/s Random Read 512KB : 198.667 MB/s Random Write 512KB : 85.654 MB/s Random Read 4KB : 17.172 MB/s Random Write 4KB : 32.277 MB/s Test Size : 100 MB Date : 2009/09/20 23:38:05

Attachment is the "AS http://forum.notebookreview.com/autolink.php?id=2987&script=showthread&forumid=27 SSD Benchmark Software"

30 REPLIES 30

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Im not understanding what you are saying... All the benchmarks you have posted have better 4K writes than i do. Yes, i do have a 80gb drive, but that doesnt mean, my 4K write should be 35%-45% less than others. Like for instance, the last benchmark you posted (the CrystalDisk has over 60mb/s in 4K write, and i have arund 30mb/s)

Can you please explain what you were trying to say? Im not quite understanding you. Is this from a desktop or laptop?

You're saying my drive is slower than others right?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I'm not saying that your drive is slower. Your 4k benches seems normal. But I see the difference in 4k write.

What Chipset you are using? (ICH9, 10, NV ??) Is AHCI in BIOS enabled and enhanced write and write caching in the Device Manager?

These settings will speed up your drive.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have ICH9m/E . AHCI is enabled in BIOS. Write Caching is enabled under the drive's "policies". Where do i find "enhanced write" ???

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Well, if you have the Matrix Storage Manager installed too, there is also one option to enable writeback caching.

And from the device manager there are these two options under the devices tap:

Hope that helps.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I dont have the options in Intel Matrix Storage Console. I dont have RAID setup. I have both options checked under Drive Policies in Device Manager. I have since found several other people with the same problem. All of them are laptops and they are saying its probably due to "mobile chipsets".. Im not sure i should believe it, but at this point, there really isnt anything else i can do but believe what they are saying.