cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird problem with X-25m G2

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Does anyone know why my 4k read/write is so much slower than other people with the same drive??? Its a brand new X-25m G2 drive.

I even used HHDErase 3.3 to secure erase the drive when i first benchmarked it. I thought something was wrong with it. But even after a second secure erase, i am still having the same problem.

I have attached two different benchmarks. Everything is normal for the SEQUENTIAL read/write and RANDOM 512K Read/Write

Problem is with my 4K scores. It seems as tho they are cut in half than what they are supposed to be. AHCI is enabled. CrystalDiskMark 2.2 -------------------------------------------------- CrystalDiskMark 2.2 (C) 2007-2008 hiyohiyo Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/ http://crystalmark.info/ -------------------------------------------------- Sequential Read : 258.695 MB/s Sequential Write : 87.820 MB/s Random Read 512KB : 198.667 MB/s Random Write 512KB : 85.654 MB/s Random Read 4KB : 17.172 MB/s Random Write 4KB : 32.277 MB/s Test Size : 100 MB Date : 2009/09/20 23:38:05

Attachment is the "AS http://forum.notebookreview.com/autolink.php?id=2987&script=showthread&forumid=27 SSD Benchmark Software"

30 REPLIES 30

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Aznx, Bunta, the performances of laptops are always not good as from desktops, in general. You should take the chipset, cpu generation, cpu speed, memory, FSB etc into consideration! My specs are P45 ICH10 355MHz FSB , 4 Gb Mem, Q9550 @ ~3Ghz. I would be disappointed if your laptop would be faster than my desktop. Again, compare with other Hardware which run on the same spec as you have and you'll notice that you could be happy with the performance. One thing I think of, is the fact that laptops are more designed for power saving and not for performance. Except .... maybe Alienware.

Sorry, for not being able to give you a better explanation. I never had a laptop, so I can only trust on what Im reading about.

RolandSSD:

Do you have your SSDs in Raid0? What chipset are u using? Have you had any issues with the setup yet? Since when u have the Raid running?

I was very happy with mit SSD Raid0 before I expierenced serious problems. The speed ... really was amazing, but one drive just disconnected suddenly, and no one has an idea why. Its RMA now. I really hope that this was really a drive failure and not an incompatibility with my P45-ICH10.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Bunta,

I totally agree with blowd, it's only normal that a high end system will perform better. Like I mentioned before I believe your results are outstanding for a laptop. Do a benchmark with Sandra and look at your random performance, i'm sure you will be pleased.

Roland

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Blowd,

Don't want to hijack this post – I'm running in raid 0 for quite awhile never had a problem, also P45-ICH10R.

If you give the exact specs of your system and the way you had setup the raid maybe I can help you.

Roland

A lot of interesting data, but nothing that looks highly unordinary - other than I see very high sequential performance of >500MB/s read and >160MB/s write in earlier post that I'm not sure what that pertains to. These benchmark tests will vary across platforms and OS setups. Make sure to understand how the benchmark test is actually testing the SSD - what is the size of the test file it is working in and out of, does it test with queue depth, etc. As what's been alluded to by Roland, try another benchmark test to see if results are consistent. I recommend trying IOMeter. It is not as straight forward to use as some, but it has a lot of flexibility if one takes the time to learn it. If possible, test the SSD as a secondary drive. Also be careful what condition the drive is in - is it out-of-box, filled, etc - as that will affect scores. For more on this drive condition thing, check out Anand's SSD storage articles - his SSD Anthology or SSD Relapse - at http://www.anandtech.com/storage/ http://www.anandtech.com/storage/

Regards,

Brady - An Intel Solid-State Drive Guy

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

It was around 20R/25W random 4k when out of box

of course that's not so bad, but i'd like to know why it's not better, because maybe it's just a software problem, maybe intel would just need to edit a line or two in his next chipset driver to get it fixed ...

Don't tell me it come from desktops being more "powerfull", i've seen many bench reaching the 60mo/s rand W. 4K with desk processors weaker than my T9300, and the uber GTX999 won't change anything to transfer rates.

I'm not crying that much, but i'm a bit disappointed because when i bough my ssd, it was intel 4K writes VS OCZ vertex general write speed ... and now i'm asking if i made the good choice ( something that never happened to me after buying Intel products before that 😕 )

Again, i'm not blaming anyone, but i'd really like to know WHY it doesn't perform as expected.