cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird sound problem > SSD?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

- when I use a simple speaker set or the T20 from Creative > the sound is ok. - when I use highend speakers I get problems: ticks, noise etc. A solution could be this. It's about Speedstep and energy-saving options of the CPU. I have to disable them... (there is more) For some reason and if these options are not disabled you hear interferences. (cracks, ticks, noise etc.) It seems the SSD get's not enough power.... There is more. When you disable Speedstep and energy-saving that's not so good for de cpu. The CPU is getting a bit too hot... and will not last long as he sould be. My SSD is connected with a led and that led is flashing every second. Each flash is a tick you hear in the speakers.

What can I do?

Regards,

Theo (Belgium)
14 REPLIES 14

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

It's more wors then I tought...and a external sound card is of no use.

(reading your post)

I guess we have to make a kind of a dual boot systeem.

One with the SSD and one with a normal harddisk.

And one can use a hot swap systeem (Sharkoon).

So you can choose to start the OS from de SSD or the harddisk.

It's a kind of stupid, I understand but I do not know the right answer.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

When you unplug the SSD... the noise goes away? Try unplugging SATA only and then try the power.

Very odd... I haven't heard this issue at all. I still do not quite understand how this is occurring since the digital signals are isolated from each other. That means it probably is noise on the power line?

What PSU is being used in your cases?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have had some type of interference and noise in the analog audio outputs on about 50% of the mother boards I have owned. I could hear the interference change when I used a USB mouse (moved it or the track ball or used the scroll wheel). This noise is so pervasive that it is completely unchanged when the audio outputs are muted! That tells me that this noise is simply a poor design or flaw of the mother board since it occurs on the analog audio jacks on the rear I/O panel. I am also an audio/electronics enthusiast, but I could not solve the noise problem on those boards. I had to use the SPDIF digital output for audio on the noisy boards, as that was the only noise-free signal I could get. Curiously, the noise does not harm the digital signal at all on the RCA jack/coaxial cable output, or TOSLINK, of course..

IMO, I never thought my SSDs were causing the noise, since other PCs I have that contain SSDs do not have the noise problem. It is possible that an SSD contributes to the noise picked up by the mother board, but it is not the only source of noise, as my USB mouse clearly demonstrates.

I don't understand why theokus thinks the SSD is the cause of his noise, since he said the noise stopped after disabling Speedstep (EIST I assume) which is a CPU setting and has nothing to do with I/O, SATA devices, or SSDs. Also, while the "ticks" may coincide with the drive LED flashing, at that moment the SSD is not the only thing active in the PC, the CPU is likely active as is the memory and many other things.

I've given up using the analog outputs on the boards that are noisy, since even separate sound cards are not immune to the noise. I have never found a solution beyond using the SPDIF digital outputs into an audio device with a D to A convertor.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

A solution could be this.

It's about Speedstep and energy-saving options of the CPU. I have to disable them... (there is more) For some reason and if these options are not disabled you hear interferences. (cracks, ticks, noise etc.) It seems the SSD get's not enough power....

This was a solution from the man, a good friend, who made my new pc.

It worked on a other pc-system with a SSD.

I did not change anything till now on my pc.

An external sound card, I read here, is of no use.

SPDIF could be indeed an answer.

In that case I need a device between the pc and my active speakers.

My speakers have not a spdif input....

So I need a device with a spdif input en RCA output.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Till now I did not change anything

The power is a Be-Quiet Dark Power PRO 900W.