cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Features for the Intel Toolbox?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Intel does listen to our feedback so let's get heard! So what features would you like to see added or improved upon in the Intel Toolbox? Make sure to provide reasons as well!

So far, we have:

1) A benchmark to assist in determining nominal performance

2) TRIM, Driver, SATA Mode information

3) Offical performance tweak options (write caching)

4) Space reduction (Hibernation, System Restore, Paging File)

5) Links to suggested tweaks.

What else? These are up for discussion as well.

I'll maintain this and see what you guys demand.

16 REPLIES 16

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I believe the RST and SSD Toolbox teams are independent of each other. This means integration of them together is unlikely at this point in time.

I know thats not completely true as there is no way SSD toolbox could view SMART without the source code of the "iaStor.sys" driver.

Not asking to fully integrate it just a right click link to run it making less mess of listed icons and quicker access to Toolbox. Anyway it would have to run independently for non-Intel systems or those that like to run it independently as an option. If not then just Run as a service and minimize to notification area in taskbar will do.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I understand DuckieHo, the liability issue is one that interferes with many things, nothing can be done about it, except accept it.

Some of my suggestions are certainly stretches, and I'm struggling to find something useful, since redux took all the good ones...

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

PeterUK wrote:

I know thats not completely true as there is no way SSD toolbox could view SMART without the source code of the "iaStor.sys" driver.

Not asking to fully integrate it just a right click link to run it making less mess of listed icons and quicker access to Toolbox. Anyway it would have to run independently for non-Intel systems or those that like to run it independently as an option. If not then just Run as a service and minimize to notification area in taskbar will do.

Are you sure? The 3rd party party application HD Tune can read SMART values from HDDs running under the iaStor.sys driver as well.

I confirmed this yesterday while checking my home server HDDs. I connected each of them to my X58's ICH10R ports and I know I am running iaStor.sys because I have 3xHDDs in RAID0.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

There is no way to select a SSD or HDD made up in the array in HD Tune as all you can select is the volume so unless your running windows RAID and not off the Intel RAID controller I see no way how you could view SMART in any other way with HD Turn. When I run HD Turn I can only select a volume with Health listed as blank/nothing.

And it has been a fact for some time that you can't view S.M.A.R.T. values of hard drive after setting up RAID.

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-015002.htm?wapkw=%28SMART+raid%29 http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-015002.htm?wapkw=%28SMART+raid%29

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

PeterUK wrote:

There is no way to select a SSD or HDD made up in the array in HD Tune as all you can select is the volume so unless your running windows RAID and not off the Intel RAID controller I see no way how you could view SMART in any other way with HD Turn. When I run HD Turn I can only select a volume with Health listed as blank/nothing.

And it has been a fact for some time that you can't view S.M.A.R.T. values of hard drive after setting up RAID.

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-015002.htm?wapkw=%28SMART+raid%29 http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-015002.htm?wapkw=%28SMART+raid%29

Ahhh.... You had meant to say "I know thats not completely true as there is no way SSD toolbox could view SMART of an array member without the source code of the "iaStor.sys" driver."

That being said.... having the source code and collaborating are two different things.