cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Features for the Intel Toolbox?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Intel does listen to our feedback so let's get heard! So what features would you like to see added or improved upon in the Intel Toolbox? Make sure to provide reasons as well!

So far, we have:

1) A benchmark to assist in determining nominal performance

2) TRIM, Driver, SATA Mode information

3) Offical performance tweak options (write caching)

4) Space reduction (Hibernation, System Restore, Paging File)

5) Links to suggested tweaks.

What else? These are up for discussion as well.

I'll maintain this and see what you guys demand.

16 REPLIES 16

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Ahhh.... You had meant to say "I know thats not completely true as there is no way SSD toolbox could view SMART of an array member without the source code of the "iaStor.sys" driver."

Are you sure? The 3rd party party application HD Tune can read SMART values from HDDs running under the iaStor.sys driver as well.

I confirmed this yesterday while checking my home server HDDs. I connected each of them to my X58's ICH10R ports and I know I am running iaStor.sys because I have 3xHDDs in RAID0.

And you confirmed that?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I am running 3xRAID0 Seagate 7200.10 500GB on a ICH10R (Asus P6T X58). Being in RAID, I must be using iaStor.sys.

I used HD Tune to check the SMART values of 6 HDDs pulled from my home server. I hotswapped each drive and checked their health. I'll get a driver + SMART screenshot up when I get home.

OT: One drive is power cycling and its warranty expired 35 days ago. The other one is out of reallocation sectors and it had just came back from RMA 3 months ago.... and is now out of warranty as well.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III
I am running 3xRAID0 Seagate 7200.10 500GB on a ICH10R (Asus P6T X58). Being in RAID, I must be using iaStor.sys.

Yes but you said "HD Tune can read SMART values from HDDs running under the iaStor.sys driver as well." and that you "confirmed this" by saying "I know I am running iaStor.sys because I have 3xHDDs in RAID0" since we both know you can't do that with HD tune you could not of confirmed this in the first place for using HD tune to check SMART in your RAID0 yes?

Surely when you was running HD tune and Toolbox that "nope can't view SMART in my RAID0 with HD tune" and then "hey I can view the SMART of my drives in RAID0 cool".

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

PeterUK wrote:

Yes but you said "HD Tune can read SMART values from HDDs running under the iaStor.sys driver as well." and that you "confirmed this" by saying "I know I am running iaStor.sys because I have 3xHDDs in RAID0" since we both know you can't do that with HD tune you could not of confirmed this in the first place for using HD tune to check SMART in your RAID0 yes?

Surely when you was running HD tune and Toolbox that "nope can't view SMART in my RAID0 with HD tune" and then "hey I can view the SMART of my drives in RAID0 cool".

There is some confusion here.... I am saying that you don't need the driver source code to view SMART values from a non-member disk. To view SMART values from members of an array is a different story. You would need the driver information to support that.

Here is the confirmation:

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes confirmation very good it allows SMART to pass through "iaStor.sys" for a single drive we get it! Its the fact that Toolbox can view SMART in RAID being why I posted SSD toolbox couldn't view SMART without the source code of "iaStor.sys" in the first place or else why would I say Toolbox needed source code of "iaStor.sys" in the first place.

And yes by RAID I mean the drives in RAID not single drives and thats why Toolbox already can view all SMART for all drives in any config and HD tune can not.

Thats all and "iaStor.sys" is commonly known for it being a RAID driver.