cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the difference between SSDPEKKF256G7X1 and SSDPEKKF256G7L?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Dear reader,

As the title points out: What is the difference between SSD model SSDPEKKF256G7X1 and SSDPEKKF256G7L? And what model type and specs are the last one, because that one is mounted in my Lenovo laptop.

Additional question, why can't I find ANYWHERE on both the sites of Intel and Lenovo the specs for tis modelnr.? Quite annoying, because Windows 10 upgrade version 1803 is having some major issues with Intel SSD models and probably blocked the machines which have those installed. My update is blocked and I suspect this SSD, so I need to know what modeltype my SSD is; 600p Series or Pro 6000p Series or...?

https://support.microsoft.com/nl-nl/help/4103721/windows-10-update-kb4103721 https://support.microsoft.com/nl-nl/help/4103721/windows-10-update-kb4103721 --> scroll down to first known issue......

Master

15 REPLIES 15

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Eugenio F.

Maybe you can help us out here?

I didn't install the upgrade to 1803 yet, because it wouldn't let me. The upgrade process was repeatedly terminated at 49% installation, probably because of the Intel SSD issue.

As I can read here https://support.microsoft.com/nl-nl/help/4100403/windows-10-update-kb4100403 https://support.microsoft.com/nl-nl/help/4100403/windows-10-update-kb4100403 the issue is resolved by installing kb4100403 (scroll down to first symptom). However when I let Windows search for updates it comes up with nothing. Even the upgrade to 1803 doesn't come up anymore (probably blocked?).

So how do we obtain the resolution and/or upgrade now? Will the upgrade be provided automatically through Windows update, and if yes, when will that be?

Greetz, Master

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello Master_Burn,

We noticed you posted the same question at community thread and will wait for Microsoft* to work on this.

EDIT: Please post updates about this issue on the linked thread.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Eugenio F.,

That is correct, through Google I found that thread and sure I will post any relevant updates.

In that thread concerning 2 problems with upgrade 1803 the answer by Andres V. is presented as resolution, however that is not entirely correct. In my case I still do not know how to normally obtain the upgrade without the painful proces keshav_c17 described on 4-jun-2018 3:28. In my Windows update service the upgrade to 1803 is gone and not presented at all any more (blocked by Microsoft?). Clearly the tip for a manual check for windows updates doesn't work. So what process do we need to follow for a normal procedure without the extreme problems keshav_c17 experienced.

Presented resolution by Andres V.

Hello,

As some of you have noticed, Microsoft has released an update (KB4100403) to resolve this issue impacting the Intel® SSD 600p Series and Intel® SSD Pro 6000p Series. For installation instructions, see the Microsoft release notes at answers.microsoft.com.

Regards,

Andres V.

So please inform us as well when you know how this issue will be resolved by Microsoft. I presume Intel will be notified on this or am I wrong?

Greetz, Master

BHarr8
New Contributor

This has been a long standing Microsoft issue. If there is a cumulative update that resolves an issue that blocks stable base installs you have to build the upgraded install image yourself because for reasons I cannot fathom Microsoft will not update the base image on their end.

The process isn't that bad though, just time consuming:

Download 1803 with Microsoft's media creation tool and choose the option to create a bootable flash drive.

On this flash drive locate sources\install.esd, create the folder C:\ESD and move install.esd to this folder.

From an admin command prompt use the following commands to convert your esd file to wim (this will extract home and pro, if you need other images you will need a different routine):

DISM/Export-Image /SourceImageFile:c:\esd\install.esd /SourceIndex:1 /DestinationImageFile:c:\esd\install.wim /compress:max /checkintegrity

DISM/Export-Image /SourceImageFile:c:\esd\install.esd /SourceIndex:6 /DestinationImageFile:c:\esd\install.wim /compress:max /checkintegrity

Create C:\MOUNT and C:\UPDATE.

Download KB4100403 into C:\UPDATE.

Use the following commands to integrate the update into the wim file:

DISM /Mount-Wim /WimFile:C:\ESD\install.wim /index:1 /Mountdir:C:\MOUNT

DISM /image:C:\MOUNT /Add-Package /Packagepath:C:\UPDATE\

DISM /Unmount-Wim /Mountdir:C:\MOUNT /commitDISM /Cleanup-Wim

DISM /Mount-Wim /WimFile:C:\ESD\install.wim /index:2 /Mountdir:C:\MOUNT

DISM /image:C:\MOUNT /Add-Package /Packagepath:C:\UPDATE\

DISM /Unmount-Wim /Mountdir:C:\MOUNT /commitDISM /Cleanup-Wim

Use the following commands to convert the wim file back into esd:

Dism /Export-Image /SourceImageFile:c:\esd\install.wim /SourceIndex:1 /DestinationImageFile:c:\esd\install.esd /Compress:recovery /CheckIntegrity

Dism /Export-Image /SourceImageFile:c:\esd\install.wim /SourceIndex:2 /DestinationImageFile:c:\esd\install.esd /Compress:recovery /CheckIntegrity

Use this newly created install.esd file to replace the original one on your flash drive.

If you use this flash drive to install 1803 you will now start with build 17134.81 which does not have the 600P/6000P bug. This image can also be used to upgrade existing 1709 installs no matter what update level you have currently installed.

To make this absolutely clear, Intel and Microsoft are 100% aware of this procedure and 100% capable of doing this for your and providing this upgraded image. They can do this securely (offering hashes to verify) and this would solve all of your issues regarding this bug. If they both choose not to please remember that this was a deliberate choice on their part to provide crappy support for an issue they collectively created.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello nosirrahx,

Thanks for sharing this workaround. We haven't tested this from our side and can't validate the process, but it might be useful for other users having similar issues.Best regards,Eugenio F.