Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
432 Discussions

What is the "software serial numbers"?

DPark12
Beginner

Hi,

I'm using Intel Optane SSD DC P4800X. And I want to use IMDT(Intel Memory Drive Technology) software.

I have trouble with installing the software, because It requires SOFTWARE SERIAL NUMBERS.

What is the SOFTWARE SERIAL NUMBERS and How can I get the numbers.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello pdaejun,

Thanks for contacting the Intel® Memory Drive Technology support community, in regards to your question your Intel® Optane™ SSD DC P4800X Series must come with the Serial Numbers to register and use the Software.

Intel® Memory Drive Technology is bundled with certified Intel NVMe SSDs and is not offered separately. The Intel® MDT license is per-SSD-device. There is a matching Memory Drive part number for each certified model of Intel NVMe SSD.

You'll require to contact your place of purchase if your SSD doesn't come with the Serial Number, since we can't provide them separately.

Please remember that if you require more assistance or want to add additional details, we'll be glad to assist you

Best regards,

Chris
0 Kudos
DPark12
Beginner

Hello Chris,

Thank you for kindly answer on my question.

I am in the Sungkyunkwan univ. lab. as ph. D candidate student. The intel NVMe SSD was bought by Hong who is my lab. colleague.

He can not make contact now, because he is on military service until 25th.

But my professor want to see output of Intel MDT software, so I request another certification method for getting software serial numbers.

Thanks,

pdaejun

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello pdaejun,

Thanks for your reply and in regards to your question, unfortunately we can't provide Serial Numbers for Intel® MDT in another way than the mentioned because the SN matches a Part Number for each specific Intel® NVMe SSD.

In this situation the person that has purchased the SSD will require to contact the place of purchase so they can provide the corresponding SN for Intel® MDT.

Also, please remember that if you require more assistance or want to add additional details, we'll be glad to assist you

Best regards,

Chris
0 Kudos
DPark12
Beginner

Hello Chris,

I attached picture of the intel SSD. It has several informationsof the SSD. (ex. ISN, SA, ...)

Could I get SN from this information?

Thanks,

pdaejun

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello pdaejun,

Thanks for the reply and the picture that you've provided us of the SSD, we understand your frustration about this situation; unfortunately we can't generate a Serial Number for the SSD as it always comes bundled with the Drive and it must match the Part Number; that's why we strongly recommend to purchase our products from our Authorized Distributors to ensure that they're certified and will come with all the features and information available, you can check our list of Authorized Distributors by visiting the following link:

http://https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/partner/where-to-buy/overview.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/partner/where-to-buy/overview.html

Also, please remember that if you require more assistance or want to add additional details, we'll be glad to assist you

Best regards,

Chris
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello pdaejun,

Thanks for your time and we're sending you this message as a follow-up to your question and to see if the information that we've provided you was useful for your situation.

Please remember that if you require more assistance or want to add additional details, we'll be glad to assist you

Best regards,

Chris
0 Kudos
DPark12
Beginner

Hello Chris,

Thank you for your kind answer.

I will check serial number through whom is purchased the SSD.

Best regards,

pdaejun

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello pdaejun,

Thanks for your reply and we're sending you this message to confirm if the information that we've provided you was useful for your situation.

At this point we'll like to know if we can mark this question as solved; however, if you want to ask more questions please fell free to contact us, we'll be glad to assist you

Best regards,

Chris
0 Kudos
DPark12
Beginner

Hello Chris,

I think my question is solved.

Thanks for your replies.

Best regards,

Chris

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello pdaejun,

You're very welcome and in regards to your situation at this point we'll mark this question as solved; however, if you want to ask more questions please fell free to contact us, we'll be glad to assist you

Regards,

Chris
0 Kudos
DPark12
Beginner

Hi Chris,

I want to ask more question for software serial number.

He who is purchased the SSD required the software serial number to seller.

But the seller said that they don't know about it.

The seller is OverStockUS on amazon.

Can I get the software serial number without seller's help?

Regards,

pdaejun

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello pdaejun,

Thanks for contacting us and in regards to your question the Distributor it's in the responsibility of providing the SN along with the Drive since as previously mentioned, this product it's come bundled with the software; so we'll be unable to provide you a Serial Number because it must match the Part Number of your SSD.

About this situation we strongly recommend you to contact the seller since we can only guarantee the bundles and support when purchasing our products from one of our Authorized Distributors listed here:

http://https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/partner/where-to-buy/overview.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/partner/where-to-buy/overview.html

Please feel free to ask more questions and to add additional details to your case if you need, we'll be glad to assist you

Best regards,

Chris
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello pdaejun,

Thanks for your time and we're sending you this message as a follow-up to your question and to see if the information that we've provided you was useful for your situation.

Also, please remember that if you require more assistance, want to add additional details, or if all your questions have been solved you can also ask us to mark this question as solved; we'll be glad to assist you.

Best regards,

Chris
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello pdaejun,

Thanks for your time and we're sending you this email as a follow-up to your case and to see if the information that we've provided you was useful for your situation.

At this point we'll mark this question as solved; however, if you want to ask more questions please fell free to contact us, we'll be glad to assist you

Best regards,

Chris
0 Kudos
DPark12
Beginner

Hello Chris,

I got mail from Optane SSD seller about software serial number. The following is the mail.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

Thank you again for your patience.

I have been able to talk with our Intel referent technical commercial about your case. It is 100% sure that we can't generate a software Intel serial number. Only Intel can.

You have to follow the guideline attached from 3.1.1 to 3.1.7 to obtain the software serial number.

Let us know if you have any problems, I hope you will be able to get it this way.

Best regards,

Matt @ OverStockUS

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They said that "It is 100% sure that we can't generate a software Intel serial number. Only Intel can.".

Could you help me to get software serial number?

Thanks,

pdaejun

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Pdaejun,

Thanks for your update about this issue.

The vendor is not fully wrong about they not been able to generate the serial number. The Serial number is originally generated by Intel and then shared with the distributor. Every SSD has a particular number. For security reasons Intel does not disclose this Serial numbers they have to be disclosed by the Reseller. If the reseller does not have the serial number, they will have to contact Intel through their direct channel and request it.

Additionally this information can be confirmed in the MDT installation guide under section 2, it is stated the following: "If you haven't yet obtained software serial numbers, please obtain them from your Intel reseller". Here is the link for the full installation guide for additional details:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/memory-and-storage/intel-mdt-setup-guide.pdf

I apologize for the inconvenient this issue may cause you, if you have any additional question please let me know.

Best regards,

Juan N.
0 Kudos