cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What kind of SATA mode to use in Mass Storage Controller Configuration in BIOS?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

What kind of SATA mode to use in Mass Storage Controller Configuration in BIOS?

Hi there,

I am trying to install windows 7 professional x64 on a system using motherboard Intel S5520SCR.

Windows itself should be installed in a

160Gb Intel X25-M Mainstream Sata Solid-State Drive

and I want to install 2 other Seagate Barracuda Hard Drives I have as internal hard drives. In the future I might install a third Seagate Barracuda, that I would still buy, but that's it.

I want to use the hard drives as simple additional storage. I don't need to create any special partitions, I don't want to RAID or anything.

Would you please be so kind to tell me what Mass Storage Controller Configuration to use? I listed below the options in the Bios, with the explanations offered in the Bios.

Thank you very very much, I can't even start to list how many tries I have already tried to do this.

(if it makes any difference my graphics card is a Nvidia FX1800)

Hard drives:

-Intel 160Gb Intel X25-M for windows 7 x64

-Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1Tb for additional storage only, single partition-Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500Gb for additional storage only, single partition - potentially a new Barracuda someday (for additional storage only, single partition).

Options in the BIOS

Enhanced - Supports up to 6 SATA ports with IDE Native Mode.

Compatibility - SUpports up to 4 SATA ports [0/1/2/3] with IDE Legacy mode and 2 SATA ports [4/5] with IDE Native Mode.

[AHCI] - Supports all SATA ports using the Advanced Host Controlled Interface.

AHCI Option ROM - Enable or Disable the onboard Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) option ROM. Note: For AHCI capability in EFI, the AHCI Legacy Option ROM should be set to [Disabled].

[SW RAID] - Supports configuration of SATA ports for RAID via RAID configuration software.

17 REPLIES 17

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

You want AHCI mode as this will be the best setting for you.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Peter,

thank you so much for your answer! Do you think I should have the AHCI Option ROM enabled or disabled?

Many thanks!!!

Eric

Yes so that you can boot OS from one of the AHCI drives.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi guys, thanks for the help.

I took out the seagate drives and tried to install windows only with the SSD in the machine. No success.

I used AHCI with AHCI Option ROM Enabled.

Should I use any other Configuration?

Many thanks, Eric