cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which command line tool for S3500 SSD temperature behind RAID controller RS25DB080?

GJago
New Contributor II

To be able to compare different fan setups I'm logging the temperatures of my drives. All drives are connected to an Intel RAID Controller RS25DB080. Using storcli (storcli64) or CmdTool2 (CmdTool264) I'm getting the temperatures of my HDDs. For my Intel DC S3500 Series SSDs (SSDSC2BB240G401) I'm getting "N/A" instead. The spec sheet @ http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-specifications/ssd-dc-s3500-spec... http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-specifications/ssd-dc-s3500-spec... states: "The Intel® SSD DC S3500 Series has an internal temperature sensor with an accuracy of +/-2C over a range of -20C to +80C which can be monitored using two SMART attributes: [...] Device Internal Temperature (C2h)." I tried SmartmonTools and CrystalDiskInfo without success - they don't support my RAID controller with my OS: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1, 64 bit.

Will a future release of storcli or CmdTool2 return the SSD temperature instead of N/A?

Which command line tool or dll can I use to get the current SSD temperature behind my RS25DB080?
7 REPLIES 7

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello Georg,

We would like to inform that we were able to get temperature data from drives connected to an RS25DB8080 controller using the Intel® Solid State Drive Data Center Tool.

Here are some examples of the commands you can use:

1. ISDCT show –intelssd

- to get a list of drives. Record the 'drive index' of the drive you are interested in.

2. ISDCT dump –destination –intelssd DataType=nvmelog LogID=197

- this will dump temperature log data.

- substitute for a filename of your choice. Data is dumped in CSV format

- use the drive index recorded in step 1 in place of .

More information and download links for the Intel® SSD Data Center Tool can be found here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=23931&lang=eng https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=23931&lang=eng

GJago
New Contributor II

Hello Jonathan,

thank you for the new version of the Intel® Solid State Drive Data Center Tool.

Using the old Data Center Tool "Version 2.1.6":

isdct show -intelssd==>No results

After updating the Data Center Tool to "Version: 2.2.0":

isdct show -intelssd==>- IntelSSD Index 0 -DevicePath: LSI8DeviceStatus: HealthyFirmware: D2010370FirmwareUpdateAvailable: Firmware is up to date as of this tool release.Index: 0ProductFamily: Intel SSD DC S3500 SeriesModelNumber: INTEL SSDSC2BB480G4SerialNumber: BTWL4200007H480QGN

- IntelSSD Index 1 -

DevicePath: LSI9DeviceStatus: HealthyFirmware: D2010370FirmwareUpdateAvailable: Firmware is up to date as of this tool release.Index: 1ProductFamily: Intel SSD DC S3500 SeriesModelNumber: INTEL SSDSC2BB480G4SerialNumber: PHWL429200FB480QGN

Then I tried as suggested:isdct dump -destination dump.txt -intelssd 0 DataType=NVMeLog LogID=197==>Error: The selected drive does not support this feature.

I think this is because the Intel DC S3500 Series SSDs (SSDSC2BB480G4) are no NVMe devices. I also tried:

isdct dump -destination dump.txt -intelssd 0 DataType=hdatemperature==>Dump successful. Data saved to: dump.txt

But dump.txt does not contain the current temperature:

'Field','Value'Format Version,2Sampling Period,1Interval,1Maximum recommended continuous operating temperature,70Maximum Temperature Limit,1Minimum recommended continuous operating temperature,1Minimum Temperature Limit,1Circular buffer size,1Circular buffer index,1

If "isdct dump -destination dump.txt -intelssd 0 ..." would write the desired value into the file this would be not the best solution. I'd have to get the drive indices and serial numbers for the Intel SSDs with one command first. To get the temperatures would require an additional command with a file write and a file read for each drive.

I tried "isdct show -sensor" that showed all SMART attributes for both SSDs. Finally I ended withisdct show -display raw -sensor ID=C2==>- BTWL4200007H480QGN.C2 -raw: 34

- PHWL429200FB480QGN.C2 -

raw: 36

that returns the current temperatures for all Intel Data Center SSDs. I'm using this now until the command to get the temperatures of all HDDs

CmdTool264.exe -PDList -aAll -NoLogreturns the temperatures also for SSDs.

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Georg,

We are glad that you were able to retrieve the temperature of your SSD via CLI using Intel® Solid State Drive Data Center Tool version 2.2.0.

Thank you for posting the details of your research. This information will help other users facing the same situation.