cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Intel makes pressure on KINGSTON to not deliver firmware update for TRIM for KINGSTON 40GB SSD ?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Very scandalous to read today that Intel makes pressure on kingston to not deliver the firmware update for the KINGSTON 40GB SSD (identical product as INTEL X25V) !!!!

Don't forget, Mr INTEL , customer will not forget you !

You propose Intel controleur SSD product for KINGSTON and don't deliver support for your product !!!!

ONLY ONE WORD ! SCANDALOUS !

I hope you will read this post and consider that behind the KINGSTON 40GB SSD , there are customers who has bought a product ! We have bought a product with A support attached on it !!

Thanks for reading this post,

KR,

26 REPLIES 26

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Kingston assumed, since the drive supported it, they'd be allowed to make a firmware update with TRIM.

Intel has told Kingston, no this will not happen, instead the Intel branded 40GB V series, will support TRIM and we'll not allow you to have it, because we want to charge more then you.

This is all on Intel, not Kingston, place blame where its deserved.

Kingston, wants you to have all the firmware updates, just like on there other Intel rebraded drives. Intel is refusing to allow them to make there own firmware with TRIM support or to support it with their firmware, like the Kingston M series SSD's.

This move and Intel's next generation performance figures, has Kingston leaving Intel controller SSD's all together and going Toshiba controllers and nand.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Well I don't really blame Kingston, although perhaps they should have made sure they had TRIM as part of their contract with Intel. Unfortunately since I bought the drive from Kingston, I shall have to ask them for a refund.

Intel lose Kingston's business but they're so huge they won't care.

Alan_F_Intel
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

@ Greg and Tony, you are referring to an SSD marketed and sold by Kingston, solely under their name and brand.

This is a different product than the SSDs marketed and sold by Kingston that are co-logo'd with Intel and Kingston – specifically the 80GB and 160GB SSDs sold under the Kingston SSDNow M-Series which they identify publicly, and in their literature, as the Intel® X25-M SSD. These are Intel-based drives and are jointly supported by Kingston and Intel. This is not the case with their 40GB SSD. It is not, and never was, an Intel branded or identified SSD and we are not responsible for product decisions that another company may make about their product lines. The Intel X25-V 40GB SSD supports TRIM, and did so when it was first released earlier this month.

rgds,

Alan

NAND Solutions Group

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Alan,

thank you for responding but the situation is still unclear to me. The Kingston SSDNow 40GB is not Intel branded, but uses an Intel G2 controller and is therefore TRIM-capable. It is, I assume, identical to the 40GB Intel X25-V. Is Intel allowing Kingston to develop TRIM firmware for this SSD or are they preventing them from doing so? Does the firmware for the 40GB Intel X25-V work on the Kingston drive? Presumably it should unless Intel have written it so it only works on their own drive (which would seem a bit mean).

A comment from 'buzznut' on Tom's Hardware:

"It looks as though Intel knew what they were doing when they licensed the tech to Kingston, Now they've just rendered Kingston's drive obsolete."

Is this the case?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

That does mean something.

But it doesn't change anything, unless I go 100% on what you're telling me and ignore the rest of my knowledge that I have gathered on the matter.

Your post sounded GREAT!

But it changed nothing on the matter.

Actions show you who, Intel is. Anyone can say alot of great sounding words.