cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are Windows 7 Users Running Toolbox Optimizer?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Why are Windows 7 users running the toolbox optimizer when the readme file explicitly states that for win7 this is not needed. The only case for running the optimizer toobox for WIN 7 is if you are using the Intel Matrix Storage Manager 8.x driver or any driver that does not support the (TRIM) command:

The readme says page 13:

"If your PC uses Microsoft Window 7 and the standard Microsoft AHCI driver(the DEFAULT setup for nomral configurations without RAID), the Intel SSD Optimizer will work; however, you do not need to use the Intel SSD optimizer because Microsoft Windows 7 implments the ATA Data Set Management Command (TRIM) natively."

47 REPLIES 47

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I'm using the Toolbox Optimizer precisely for the reason you stated: I'm stuck with Intel's Matrix Storage Manager (no documented way to remove the drivers). Hopefully, by the end of the year (9 days), a new MSM will be out that supports TRIM and the issue goes away.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Uninstall IMSM an windows should revert to the default driver. If it doesnt, you can manually change it for your SATA controller in the device manager.

However, there are sometimes good reasons to use IMSM. I, for example, have to use it because the default driver wont allow me to use eSATA hotplugging with my P35 board. Its been like that with vista and is still this way with win7. Another one would be less stuttering issues with SSDs under win7. There are quite a few reports out there of people experiencing random short freezes when using the microsoft driver...

This stuff is simply not mature yet. I'm glad the only problem I have is that IMSM doesnt let TRIM pass.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The thing is that this is what the official Readme says about uninstalling the Matrix Storage Manager:

"9a. UNINSTALLATION OF NON-DRIVER COMPONENTS

The removal of this software from the system will render any Serial ATA hard drives inaccessible by the operating system;therefore, uninstallation procedure will only uninstall non-critical components of this software (user interface, start menu links, etc.). To remove critical components, seesection 9b. Use the following procedure to uninstall the software:1. Select 'Uninstall' from the following Start menu folder: * All Programs -> Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager2. The uninstall program will start. Click through the options for the uninstallation.9b. UNINSTALLATION OF DRIVER COMPONENTSThe removal of this software from the system will render any Serial ATA hard drives inaccessible by the operating system.Back up any important data before completing these steps. 1) If the system is in RAID mode, delete any RAID volumesusing the Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager option ROMuser interface.2) Reboot the system.3) Enter the system BIOS (usually done by pressing a key such as 'F2' or 'Delete' during system boot).4) Disable 'Intel(R) RAID Technology' and 'SATA AHCI mode'.5) Reinstall the operating system."

In a nutshell, uninstalling only uninstalls the UI. To get rid of the driver, you have to re-install the OS. I've seen some of the posts here about just changing the driver in Device Manager. But, if it's so easy, why doesn't Intel have that method in the Readme? I guess it just worries me a bit. Anyway, like you, I've also kept the MSM because of problems with eSATA hot-plugging with the standard drivers. I just wish Intel would allow me to designate the port my eSATA is hooked to as "Removable" instead of "Internal." That way, I wouldn't have to use:

http://mt-naka.com/hotswap/index_enu.htm# download http://mt-naka.com/hotswap/index_enu.htm# download

to remove the external drive when I'm done.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The "only" in your statement makes it wrong. (Using absolutes can be hazardous to one's credibility.)

Another case is data files that are accessible from both Win7 and some other OS such as XP. You delete files in XP. Such files are not automatically trimmed at the time of deletion from XP because XP does not support trim natively. A user in such situation can schedule the Optimizer to run from Win7 periodically to "scavange-trim" the files left un-trimmed by the NTFS OS that is not trim-aware.