cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are Windows 7 Users Running Toolbox Optimizer?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Why are Windows 7 users running the toolbox optimizer when the readme file explicitly states that for win7 this is not needed. The only case for running the optimizer toobox for WIN 7 is if you are using the Intel Matrix Storage Manager 8.x driver or any driver that does not support the (TRIM) command:

The readme says page 13:

"If your PC uses Microsoft Window 7 and the standard Microsoft AHCI driver(the DEFAULT setup for nomral configurations without RAID), the Intel SSD Optimizer will work; however, you do not need to use the Intel SSD optimizer because Microsoft Windows 7 implments the ATA Data Set Management Command (TRIM) natively."

47 REPLIES 47

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Ok, maybe it's something with the bios implementation and not the controller...I dont know.

But there are some win7 setups that dont autotrim.

Edit: The 1rst optimizer version is preconfigured to autorun itself daily, if you did not delete the schedule job, the optimizer was running daily.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Since there were quite a few horror stories surrounding firmware 02HA and the corresponding Toolbox I made sure it didn't run more than once. (I never experienced any problems with 02HA though.)

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Im running it for 2 reasons. Number 1 the intel matrix storage manager drivers are faster than the microsoft ones and 2. I don't believe the trim in windows 7 works. I had my machine set up with the microsoft drivers and everything as it should be for windows 7 trim to work. My drive got slower and slower. One pass with the toolbox optimizer and it is like new again. Microsoft should provide some way of visually telling if trim is doing it's thing or not.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

First, MS support Trim if AHCI is used rather than classical IDE. Mine for now is configured to IDE. But this isn't a problem since I can activate the AHCI driver in W7, then reboot or even I can re-install W7 after changing the BIOS to use the AHCI instead of IDE.

The real problem is if I can't upgrade for some reason the firmware to the 2CV102HA where Intel just begin to support Trim.

Actually I'm in this latter case. I have no CD-ROM drive and I wasn't able to find a way to upgrade via USB flash key.

Do you know any way to put the ISO image of the firmware on my USB key and make it bootable ?

I'm surprised Intel restrict the upgrade process by CD-ROM. What people not having a CD-ROM drive are supposed to do ??!!!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Nalooti:

Someone posted about puting the ISO into USB, but I didnt tried it:

http://communities.intel.com/thread/8906