Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

Why does SSD benchmark so low in smaller puters? What holds them back?

Anyone have any idea why the huge differences in benhmarks?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Community Manager

I'm off to a good start...

I don't know why the other pix won't go through.

idata
Community Manager

idata
Community Manager

Sorry for the photo mess, but at least they are in now.

So the question is why the lower powered puters get such low Disk benchmark scores as compared to the bigger powerful machines?

It's always been my experience that a hard drive will score relatively the same benchmark, whether it is in an old Pent 4 PC or a more recent one with a big dual core.

Is it the smaller machines that holds the SSD back, or is it the i7 that somehow "boosts" the SSD performance, or none of the above?

idata
Community Manager

Just to add to my confusion, this copying was done on the T4200 benchmarked above, showing a max. write speed of 65.8 mbs, yet it's copying a movie file here at 105 mbs.

idata
Community Manager

I don't know what is " lower powered puters" but first of all I think you have used wrong benchmarking tools. SSD gives you great IO (number of operations per second - SSD can do thousands versus hundreds IOs that can HDD do ) and great access time (SSD 0.1-0.3ms, HDD - more than 5ms (best possible)), read/write speed can be above or similar to HDD (for Intel SSDs).

Use google to find out more information.

You can also use ATTO http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1137/ATTO_Disk_Benchmark_v2.34.html http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1137/ATTO_Disk_Benchmark_v2.34.html

I am not sure about your situation. But there can be several reasons of such perfomance. Chipsets and SATA controllers and compatibility with SSDs, drivers can do such things and firmware. For example SATA-1 limits speed to about ~110MB/s, etc.