cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does "fio write" change the performance of "fio read"

YLin34
New Contributor

I have a P4600 2TB NVMe SSD. Right after I used Intel SSD toolbox to secure erase it, fio reports 4kB random read at 809K IOPS.

sudo fio --name=dummy --size=10G --filename=/dev/nvme0n1 --ioengine=libaio --direct=1 --rw=randread -bs=4k** --iodepth=64 --numjobs=4 --group_reporting

However, after I tried to pre-conditioning the SSD with the following write command

sudo fio --name=dummy --size=2000G --filename=/dev/nvme0n1 --ioengine=libaio --direct=1 --rw=write -bs=4k** --iodepth=64 --numjobs=1 --group_reporting (I also tried --size=1700G, the result is the same)

the randread command above is now reporting 4kB at 520k IOPS.

So why such a severe drop?

6 REPLIES 6

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi yaolin,

We would like to let you know that this process can affect the sequential and random reads as well. Also, several factors can affect the score:
  • Processor Performance
  • Platform Performance
  • I/O and Peripheral Performance

You can check the following http://manuals.ts.fujitsu.com/file/12176/fujitsu_intel-ssd-dc-pcie-eg-en.pdf evaluation guide for the Intel® SSD DC P3700 Series, this does not apply to your SSD but the terminology is the same.

Regards,

Junior M.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi yaolin,

We would like to know if you read our previous post. If you have any other questions, we'll be waiting for your response.Regards, Junior M.