cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is the Intel 750 Slow to boot?

RLaBa1
New Contributor II

Howdy Everyone. Just picked up the Intel 750 1.2TB SSD card. Installed it on my X99 Asus Rampage V board and installed Windows 7 X64 without a problem. However, I am seeing a boot performance issue. This drive is taking about 25 seconds to boot, approximately 13 seconds longer than my Samsung 850 EVO. Did a little Googling on this and apparently, I am not the only one. I have read several reviews and the ones that measure boot time / performance will say this is the slowest SSD to boot. I have provided the link below as an example.

http://techreport.com/review/28050/intel-750-series-solid-state-drive-reviewed/5 Intel's 750 Series solid-state drive reviewed - The Tech Report - Page 5

Intel - Is this going to be fixed in a future firmware release? I wont be able to justify keeping this card if first generation SSD's still outperform in terms of booting.

Thanks,

Randman76

X99 Rampage V

I-7 5960X OC to 4.4 ghz

Corsair Vengeance (4x4GB)

980 GTX-SLI

1200W PSU

162 REPLIES 162

MFlin
New Contributor

I have that same problem. And yes the intel 750 is slow at that point. But I think it's a Windows problem to. It seems to be stuck at that one spot loading. Could be video drivers. Or something else. If it did stop right after the Windows flag loading it would be fast booting

ASouz7
Valued Contributor

Hello Randman76,

Could please let us know what current firmware version you have for this drive?

You can use our Intel® SSD Data Center Tool to check for updates. Here is the link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23931/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Data-Center-Tool Intel® Download Center

RLaBa1
New Contributor II

Here is the information on the SSD

IntelSSD CVCQ511600A81P2BGN

DeviceStatus: HealthyFirmware: 8EV10135FirmwareUpdateAvailable: Firmware is up to date as of this tool release.ModelNumber: INTEL SSDPEDMW012T4ProductFamily: Intel SSD 750 SeriesSerialNumber: CVCQ511600A81P2BGNIndex: 0DevicePath: \\\\.\\PHYSICALDRIVE0Bootloader: 8B1B012E

Thanks,

Randman76

ASouz7
Valued Contributor

Hello Randman76,

Thank you for the information provided. It seems like the Intel® SSD 750 Series drive will take longer to enumerate (therefore boot). This is a combination of longer PCI initialization time (than SATA) and the SSD ensuring a stable boot.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Goodnight!

Indeed it is a very interesting question, whether via firmware to improve load times and compatibility with Ultra Fast Boot for such a rapid SSD. At least theoretically.