cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is the Intel 750 Slow to boot?

RLaBa1
New Contributor II

Howdy Everyone. Just picked up the Intel 750 1.2TB SSD card. Installed it on my X99 Asus Rampage V board and installed Windows 7 X64 without a problem. However, I am seeing a boot performance issue. This drive is taking about 25 seconds to boot, approximately 13 seconds longer than my Samsung 850 EVO. Did a little Googling on this and apparently, I am not the only one. I have read several reviews and the ones that measure boot time / performance will say this is the slowest SSD to boot. I have provided the link below as an example.

http://techreport.com/review/28050/intel-750-series-solid-state-drive-reviewed/5 Intel's 750 Series solid-state drive reviewed - The Tech Report - Page 5

Intel - Is this going to be fixed in a future firmware release? I wont be able to justify keeping this card if first generation SSD's still outperform in terms of booting.

Thanks,

Randman76

X99 Rampage V

I-7 5960X OC to 4.4 ghz

Corsair Vengeance (4x4GB)

980 GTX-SLI

1200W PSU

162 REPLIES 162

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello,

We received additional information about this and would like to inform that even though we are continuously working to improve drivers and firmware for our SSD's, we don't expect major changes in boot times with future firmware releases.

The recent firmware versions took advantage of any significant improvements possible in the firmware, and still maintain our standards for data integrity.

I could not refer to the Samsung SSD 950 Pro, since we do not handle the details of 3rd party products.

Please keep in mind that the Intel® SSD 750 Series is designed to be used in Enthusiast PC's and Workstations, but still keeps most of the data and hardware integrity standards of Data Center drives. The Intel® SSD 750 will perform best once it is fully initialized, and on large, multi-threaded workloads.

EEsca1
New Contributor II

jonathan:

Ok, thank you for the timely reply. Disappointing, alas. I'm gathering from your reply that the reason the drive boots slow is because it has to do extra data integrity checks in order to be reliable for data center use. That's legitimate, but it's a shame for the enthusiast portion of your customer base that doesn't need it. Makes the Samsung and other drives more appealing for them. Since you've stipulated that the Intel 750 is aimed at both enthusiasts and data center use, could I suggest maybe making the extra procedures aimed at Data Center use something that could be disabled via an option, say, in the Toolbox perhaps?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello jonathan! In this paper, the testing was one comment where the author concluded that the download speed depends on the initial speed with 4K, those other words from Samsung starting speed with such files almost 2 times higher than that of Intel at the start, this and explained loser "with low start" of course then takes its itnetl on iops, hence probably the question whether it is hardware or microcode snag.