cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why stopped Intel offering the SSD Toolbox?

DZand
Contributor III

Since I have successfully flashed the meanwhile withdrawn Trim supporting SSD Firmware into my 2 Intel X25-M 2G SSD's, I would like to know, if it is safe to use the SSD Toolbox.

Is there something wrong with that tools too? What may happen?

If it should be safe for all Intel X25-M 2G users, which did not ran into problems after flashing the TRIM Firmware, why stopped Intel offering the SSD Toolbox?

Regards

Fernando

12 REPLIES 12

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

So? I did not say you must have AHCI for TRIM to work, I did say you do not need to run Optimizer if you have AHCI set in BIOS with Microsoft AHCI driver installed--and that is from the Intel White paper:

"When using the latest Microsoft Windows* 7 operating system with Microsoft AHCI storage drivers the OS will contain native support to execute the Intel® SSD Optimizer on an Intel SSD without requiring any user interaction."

"Microsoft Windows* 7

Microsoft* AHCINative OS support (Intel® SSD Toolbox not required)"

You cannot have Microsoft AHCI driver installed if you do not have BIOS set to AHCI.

DZand
Contributor III

@ ambizytl:

I didn't ask, if and why any owner of an Intel X25-M G2 SSD used Intel's SSD Toolbox, my question was: "Why stopped Intel offering it?"

There are a lot of reasons why Intel SSD users want to take benefit of the Toolbox options, but

a) only those users are able to do it, who had downloaded the Toolbox before it was withdrawn by Intel and

b) those users, who got it, may be afraid to use it, because nobody knows what may be wrong with these special SSD tools.

Regards

Fernando

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I don't know why Intel took down the Toolbox, but I have used it without any issues.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Is it true, Intel are going to recall all G2 SSDs. I was reading this in another blog

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

You have a link to that blog? I find it hard to believe they would have even those of us who updated the firmware successfully send back our SSD's, of which I have 3!