cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will 540s SSD compress data?

YYang41
New Contributor

I have a intel 540s SSD. I found that the Total NAND Writes is smaller than the Host Writes from SMART in Intel SSD Toolbox.

In my situation, the Total NAND Writes is 805, and the Host Writes is 1449.22 GB. If the write amplification factor is 805/1449.22=0.56, which is smaller than 1, the data might be compressed by the SSD itself. Is my calculation right?

I find some users of 530 SSD or 535 SSD have a write amplification factor larger than 1 in this forum, so I want to know whether it is possible for 540s SSD to compress data.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Yao_Yang,

Thanks for posting your inquiry in this forum.

You are using the correct formula to calculate the write amplification factor (NAND Writes/Host Writes). Most Intel Consumer Family SSDs use Data Compression, this includes the Intel® SSD 540s Series. However, how the data is compressed may vary between SSD Series.As for the Intel® SSD 530 and 535, we are still working on a fix for those about that specific topic (Write amplification). You can learn more about data compression on Intel® SSDs http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/solid-state-drives/000006354.html?wapkw=6354 hereHave you noticed any performance issue with your SSD?

We will be waiting for your response.

NC

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

It is a 2.5-inch SATA III SSD.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Yao_Yang,

We would like to know if you have any other question besides the release of the firmware update (Which we will let you know) or anything else we can assist you with?Thanks.NC

Hi,

The SSD works fine now except the issue of increasing power loss counts that I mentioned. I will wait for the next firmware update to see if the issue can be solved.

Thank you for your reply.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Yao_Yang,

Thanks for the reply. We will make sure to give you an update as soon as it is released.NC