cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will SSD stayed trimmed with Win-7 and WinXp partitions installed?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III
I'm wondering if an SSD will stay "trimmed" if I install both Win-7 and an WinXp partitions on the SSD and occasionally use the WinXp partiton. I would like to be able to switch back and forth between the Win-7 and WinXp partitions.

Here is the proposed partition layout:* 32gb for Win-7-64-bit* 20gb for WinXp-Sp3 Pro 32-bit* Remainder of drive for shared data and applications

My understanding is that while I'm using the Win-7 partition, file deletions will cause TRUM to happen.

However, I'm unclear what will happen when I'm using the WinXp partition. My impression is that file deletions won't cause TRIM. My uninformed speculation is that when I boot back to the Win-7 partition and delete files, then the TRIM will cause files in the WinXp partition to be cleaned up.

Or will I be out-smarting myself, and end up with a mess?

Or will some utility from the SSD toolkit (when available) be necessary?
6 REPLIES 6

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Bruce,

Notice that i said "active" partition. Most people that i'm aware will not assign a drive letter to the XP partition if they are in win 7, but if he were to assign a drive letter and delete files from that drive then of course TRIM will be passed and the WIN7 drivers will be executed upon that XP partition that is active in WIN7. If he deleted a file in XP, then boots in WIN7 and makes the drive the active, then the ONLY way to TRIM the deleted file in the XP partition is to run the SSD toolbox.

The OPS question and the correct response is what I stated. If he has XP then he should boot in WIN XP and use the SSD toolbox when available.

The assumption is that because i have a drive bootable with 2 operating systems that when TRIM is excecuted, it will effect the whole drive(i.e. the other non-active partitions). That is not true. This is why the 2nd poster asked the question regarding mac/win partition on his drive. I've seen no documents that assert that if 1 partition is trim aware, then the other partition by de-facto becomes trim aware. The implementation of TRIM is a Operating System + filesystem+ SSD firmware dependent action. And as stated in the manuals in order for an XP partition to be trimmed, the SSD toolbox must be used. Second, as of today TRIM does not and will not work on a HFS+ filesystem. Third, TRIM does not work on a Linux/Unix filesystem by de-facto, your must run utiltity scripts.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks ... very helpful info from several replies. I look forward to the release of the updated toolbox.