cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will the 34nm 25X-M drives be the only ones that will be able to be flashed for TRIM support?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

After reading for a while I don't see this question being answered clearly. I have one of the black X25-M drives and with today's annocement of the silver ones (with a different controller) it mentions that they will support a TRIM update when Windows 7 comes out.

Was curious as I'd rather pay a restocking fee and shipping to send my curent x25 back to the seller and pick up a siler x25 when they are out.

52 REPLIES 52

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Along with Endoplasmic

I also would like to see the 1st Generation 50nm X-25M drives receive a firmware update for TRIM and other enhancements/bug fixes Intel addressed during the R&D of the new 34nm drives.

Not meaning to troll or flame, but WE paid a premium on the 1st Generation Drives, it would not be fair for Intel to forget us like this.

With any luck Anandtech were guessing because Intel did not make an official statement on an ETA for this firmware update.

With anyluck we will have new firmware by October/November

Please could Intel make a statement on this

John

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Usually, it's from Intels mouth to Anand's keyboard, so cannot imagine he would state this without a clear answer from Intel before typing this... If however he is mistaken (not likely), or an Intel turnaround occurs (!), they would avoid alot of heat from the from the worst crowd to dissapoint, the enthusiasts... Trim is needed to clear out LBA and avoid constant used state for the normal user, and the enthusiast is pretty tired of HDDErase.

Still, I agree, a clear statement from Intel is needed...

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I am mildly put outraged by this decission from Intel!

The forthmost reason I decided to buy Intel G1 myself (despite its high prices), instead of:

- OCZ Vertex

- SuperTalent Ultradrive ME

- G.Skill Falcon

- Patriot Torqx

(Which all have the great 64MB cached Indilinx Barefoot controller and is much cheaper than Intel G1)

Was because Intel was gonna release TRIM in a future G1 firmware!

I spent many months on this decision before i finally went trough with it and bough Intel X25-M80 G1. This drive is indeed very expensive so I could not afford more of them at that time in june 2009. 80GB was not adequate for my needs and my plans were to expand with more G1s later and run them in Raid-0 when TRIM and Windows7 was released. Thanks for making this a big no-go!

Instead of feeling that Ive bought a great product I now feel Ive been tricked, abused and fooled by Intel and that I now have a product which is substantially less worth to me.

I will not anymore recommend any of my contacts, customers or connections to buy an Intel SSD if this is not reconsidered! Before this Intel was on my top recommendation for anyone asking about SSD.

- I am outraged on Intel because of this.

- The second-hand prices will plumit because of this (thanks Intel!)

- Theres is no longer any interest in expanding it with more G1 80GBs to get the needed space.

- I can hardly use it for anything useful because of the small space.

- I wont touch G2 because of this and will inform everyone about this breach of trust.

This is just plain disrespect of your customers!

Regards

39 yo Senior System Consultant.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

What about X25-E G1?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

It will not get TRIM firmware either according to Anand..

The fact is, without TRIM, no SSD is working like it's intended to do, and all manufacturers - including Intel - have correctly put the blame on the lack of a proper SSD friendly OS, now we get the SSD friendly OS, and a hope that now, finally the SSD we bought for a heafty price will work like it should, instead we get shafted by Intel. I can feel the pain in my bones and I feel for all G1 owners....