cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will the 34nm 25X-M drives be the only ones that will be able to be flashed for TRIM support?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

After reading for a while I don't see this question being answered clearly. I have one of the black X25-M drives and with today's annocement of the silver ones (with a different controller) it mentions that they will support a TRIM update when Windows 7 comes out.

Was curious as I'd rather pay a restocking fee and shipping to send my curent x25 back to the seller and pick up a siler x25 when they are out.

52 REPLIES 52

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Ourasi, i disagree here:

- SLC drives will only get slower for around 10%

- if you want an SSD in your laptop.....fine, but to get the best out of SSD's one must go Raid0 with at least 3 drives, 4 is better.

- with 4 drives in Raid0, who cares about TRIM

Even my OCZ Core V1 still work perfectly after one year, no stuttering (in Raid0) still performing as should.

And believe me this are NOT your best drives ever (V1's i mean)

Jeff

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Stay on topic here, this is about Trim, and the lack of a firmware update to support proper deletion and purging of LBA, no SSD is complete without it, period. Take a readup on http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3531&p=10 and leave raid out of this discussion.. I have 2 Gen. 1 X25-M in raid0, and will happely split them if I got Trim FW, and there is just a matter of time before every controller out there supports Trim in raid0 etc.. If you don't care about TRIM, how nice for you, just respect those that do care, and know the effect of TRIM or lack of it...

This is what Anand thinks about current SSD owners and a TRIM firmware update:

"To the manufacturers making these drives: your customers buying them today at exorbitant prices deserve your utmost support. If it's possible to enable TRIM on existing hardware, you owe it to them to offer the upgrade. Their gratitude would most likely be expressed by continuing to purchase SSDs and encouraging others to do so as well. Upset them, and you'll simply be delaying the migration to solid state storage."

Looks like Intel just ignored that, and Anand "forgot" to to give Intel what they deserved for this kind of behaviour, dissapointing Anand, very dissapointing indeed.....

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

All previous attempts to get Intel to interact with end users via this forum have failed so this is most likely a waste of time but considering the brewing anger at reports of no TRIM support for G1 drives here goes anyway. Maybe if we are lucky we get the answer via Anandtech

Intel:

• Please provide a statement on TRIM support for G1 drives. If it's not going to be forth coming what are the reasons?

• When the firmware is updated for TRIM support on G2 drives will Intel raid drivers be updated at the same time so that TRIM works with a raid array?

• When will the TRIM firmware update be issued for G2 drives? At the launch of Windows 7?

• Will the X25-E G1's be provided with TRIM support? If not why?

And for the icing on the cake, what will the upcoming firmware update do for X25-E drives?

/post!reply.jspa?message=51425 /post!reply.jspa?message=51425

foeve
New Contributor

If i have to respect those "NEEDING" trim, then this works also the other way around....

There where topics on the OCZ board about trim and products not supporting this, so? My V1's do not support trim and i could not care less.

I feel SSD's bought before trim was available, do not need this upgrade at any cost.

It Intel offers trim, so be it, but if not for products on the market BEFORE trim, one should accept this.

Anyway, this will not stop me from buying Intels drives.

Jeff

I had to create another account in order to be able to reply.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I respect that you have an opinion, but no, I do not respect that statement or opinion, as it it falls flat on it's face, as easy as that mate.. Either you have no clue what TRIM is, or you are arguing just for arguing sake.. And please, V1 have no baring on this case whatsoever, OCZ have stated V1 will not get TRIM for a long time, and if you are happy with them in their current state, fine for you, I think they are a POS...

The X25-M G1 have been pruchased by enthusiast up till now, july 2009, and if Intel stated many months ago they will never release a TRIM firmware on G1 and only give it to 34nm that was officially gonna be released Q4, they would have lost sales for millions as most of the potential buyers would just buy Vertex/Samsung or wait for 34nm. Sometime not saying anything is just as bad as a lying, this is one of these cases...