cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will the 34nm 25X-M drives be the only ones that will be able to be flashed for TRIM support?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

After reading for a while I don't see this question being answered clearly. I have one of the black X25-M drives and with today's annocement of the silver ones (with a different controller) it mentions that they will support a TRIM update when Windows 7 comes out.

Was curious as I'd rather pay a restocking fee and shipping to send my curent x25 back to the seller and pick up a siler x25 when they are out.

52 REPLIES 52

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Like a lot of other people I've cancelled my order for the G2. Without TRIM there is no point upgrading and there is no info on when TRIM will be available or if it will work in raid. No doubt the G2 will be cheaper when it is available and in-between time the value prop from other suppliers provides a better choice. I'm also selling my X25-e's. I fed up of waiting to see if TRIM will be available for them and for the new fw. The X25-e degradation is just not acceptable.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

How 34nm 25X-M are going to get TRIM when Intel is not even able to produce it for the previous SSD's?.

The truth is that Intel is not delivering the G2's because they don't want to have the same problems that they have with the G1's, they just are unable to produce the rigth TRIM firmware. If they get it rigth for G2's they will get it rigth for the G1's, and they are not alone, other companies have the same problem.

I suspect that the Taliban had taken over code writing in the Muslin countries.

Long live Western Digital

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

w00thisButtonDo

I believe in the next week or so Intel are releasing firmware 8840 for the X-25E which will include a few improvements to the X-25E drive... whether this will include TRIM or not is a mystery and nobody knows. For more information see http://content.intel.pcnalert.com/dm/d.aspx/0ED4F3BA-B5F3-4402-9650-CBE90DB6FC26/PCN109480-00.pdf this

Anyway to reiterate what I sad earlier I would like to see the Gen1 X-25M drives have a firmware update which would not only include TRIM but also any bugs that were squashed during the R&D of the new Gen2 drives. (Performance encasements would also be a welcome bonus)

John

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

why bother? Any solid proof showing TRIM support will change much in the performance in both short term and long term?

The new ones are cheaper, but you may pay higher maintenance fee at this moment.....Intel seems having recall activities going.....

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Well that's the advantage of SLC drives. Once cells are all used for the first time, performance usually drops by 10% in writing. But for MLC drives this usually is around 30%....

For Raid card users there is no possibility yet to use TRIM with Windows 7 even if the drives do support this.

Myself i always use a Raid card, never used the onboard connections for drives.

That's why i wait for the X25-e price drop and buy those drives.

But i can understand people having problems with their already bought Intel drives.

Intel is not the only company (if what Anand says is true), not offering firmware upgrade, OCZ did the same with their Core's......

Jeff