cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win 10 cannot do an inplace upgrade on my SSD 600P series

Jokerdad
New Contributor II

win 10 sees my M.2 SSD 600P series as a USB flashstation with setup so i cannot do an inplace upgrade how can i fix this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Actually Bruce, I think it may be SSD related, but not the way you think. My understanding is that NVMe support requires UEFI Boot. The SSU report indicates that Legacy Boot is being used. [Aside: It is unclear, but I get the feeling that this is a system that has been migrated multiple times, including from Windows 7 to Windows 10 (directly or eventually).] Regardless, a full reinstall of Windows 10 will be necessary. The Windows 10 installation media must be properly booted in UEFI mode and, during the installation process, all partitions on the SSD must be deleted (so the Windows 10 installer can create a proper GPT partition table).

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Hello, @Jokerdad.

Thank you for all the information.

Please allow us to review the information and I will contact you back as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

Hello, @Jokerdad.

Good day,

I have been looking for information regarding this error message internally, but this is not Intel SSD related.

For what I could find online, this is either a problem of corrupted operating system files, incorrect Windows registry entries, or configuration issues, sometimes getting to a point where a clean Windows 10 installation is required.

You can check the following links as reference, but please keep in mind that if you decide to follow any of the steps provided there, it will be at your own risk:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/you-cant-install-window...

https://www.kapilarya.com/you-cant-install-windows-on-a-usb-flash-drive-from-setup

We can also check the health status of the SSD just to confirm the drive is working fine by using the Intel Memory and Storage Tool:

- Download: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29820?v=t

- You can provide a SSD report, just click the name of the drive, move the mouse to "Features", click on "Drive details", click on "Export", save the file in your computer and then attach it to this ticket.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

hello

here is my IMAS file.

with kind regards

J.

Hello, @Jokerdad.

Thank you for the SSD details.

The unit is already running the latest firmware and I do not see any type of errors, alerts or concerning values, meaning that based on the report, the unit is in good condition and working fine.

This being said and knowing this is not SSD related, the only recommendation I can provide is for you to go back to Microsoft to discuss the information shown in the two links I shared in my previous message (regarding this issue seemingly caused by corrupted Windows files or registry entries), the possibility of performing a clean Windows 10 installation preserving the same license you already have, or any other options they can provide you in order for you to perform the upgrade.

If there are any questions, please let me know.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Actually Bruce, I think it may be SSD related, but not the way you think. My understanding is that NVMe support requires UEFI Boot. The SSU report indicates that Legacy Boot is being used. [Aside: It is unclear, but I get the feeling that this is a system that has been migrated multiple times, including from Windows 7 to Windows 10 (directly or eventually).] Regardless, a full reinstall of Windows 10 will be necessary. The Windows 10 installation media must be properly booted in UEFI mode and, during the installation process, all partitions on the SSD must be deleted (so the Windows 10 installer can create a proper GPT partition table).

Hope this helps,

...S